Sleeping with the TV on...

Is your day fraught with worry about something that may (or may not) happen? Stop imagining and anticipating the worst and learn the amazing rewards of living in the moment.
jennifera

Post by jennifera » Fri Sep 24, 2004 7:40 am

Ever since I was little girl, I have always needed to sleep with the TV on...I believe now that I do it to distract my racing thoughts. Had to stay at my Mum's house to watch her cats...she has NO tv in her room, and I had to lie there sleepless...with thoughts racing...should have brought my relaxation tape... :roll:

Reena

Post by Reena » Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:43 pm

I have to fall asleep to the tv but I set my sleep timer and it shuts itself off and I can do just fine that way. Otherwise I lay there with the same problem.

Reena
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

Be Not Afraid of Moving Forward Slowly, Be Afraid of Standing Still.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race...

Devad

Post by Devad » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:33 pm

Hi Jennifera,

After having researched insomnia some time ago I thought I would share some of my results, which may help you.

It sounds as if you have trained yourself to stay awake with the television in your room, rather than sending the message to your subconscious to sleep. Its all in what you have created as a `habit`. Every time you watch a program in your bed, you are actually sending a message to yourself to stay awake. The same applies to reading in bed, etc..

Your bed should be used for two things, sleep and `love making``. Regretfully many have turned their bedrooms in to their living rooms without realizing the disservice they are doing to their sleep habits.

Reading, watching television, computers etc. would be better outside of the bedroom.

Now, here is the good news, you can retrain yourself to sleep without the television on or reading etc.. Much has to do with unlearning and reprogramming what you have already learned.

A good book to start with this lesson is `What to Say When You Talk to Yourself``` written by Shad Helmsatter. This book was recommended to me through the staff at the Stress Centre. You will find that it compliments lesson 3 Self Talk.

Although you may be using telelvision to `distract`your thoughts it is possible there is an element of `simple`habit involved here. If it is your thoughts you are avoiding, this book will give you the tools to control, change and replace your thoughts particularly before sleeping. It`s all part of practicing healthy mind hygiene!

Pleasant dreams�
Devad.

CC68

Post by CC68 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:29 am

One thing that has helped me with insomnia is exercise. Even something like 20 minutes of mild exercise a day really makes a difference. Getting enough sleep really improves my mood and anxiety. I used to do with reading what you are doing with the tv. Everytime I would stop reading and try to go to sleep I would start worrying over the next day.

Another thing that helps is to cut back on caffine at night. I usually don't have any after the afternoon. Last night I only got about 4-5 hours sleep, now thinking back I can see that I did not exercise and I had a coke and half a chocolate bar, so I'm sure those things contributed to my lack of sleep.

JessicaCyrus

Post by JessicaCyrus » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:27 am

I want to talk specifically about sleeping with the TV on... not about insomnia...

I go to sleep with the TV on and I like to leave it on the whole night, and if anyone turns if off, I wake up and freak out. I like the soothing glow it gives off. However, it bothers everyone in my family and they say that it's weird and that no one likes to sleep with the TV on.

I need help...

Return to “Session 8 - Put an End to "What-If" Thinking”