Intrusive scary thoughts target loved ones, why?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
chango

Post by chango » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:11 am

I'm very confused,
Why does it happen when you have a scary thought about hurting someone it has to be the person you love the most. I'm very scared because I've had this thought about hurting my daughter who I love the most. I freak out just by thinking about it. I've had a lot of anxiety lately and suddenly started having these thoughts. I started having this thoughts not because I came up with them but because I read some posts on anxiety forums and started thinking what if I have the same thoughts. Then I started having them. It's awful. I'm very affraid that I will go crazy.

Any comments?

Ld26angell

Post by Ld26angell » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi Chango

First things first, YOU WON'T GO CRAZY!! People who go crazy aren't afraid they will go crazy.

You think of hurting those you love because that is the thought that scares you the most.

A scary thought wouldn't be worth much if it wasn't really scary! These thoughts are created to take our mind off something else that we are afraid of or do not want to deal with.

Can you think of another situation in your life that is causing you fear and anxiety? If so, this may be the real root of the problem.

Best wishes,

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 pm

Chango, I am sorry to hear that you are going through this..please understand that you are not alone!
What you need to understand is that this is 'anxiety"..anxiety is comprised of 'what-if" thinking. I must confess that I too, in my most anxious moments, would read some pretty scary stories and 'freak out" thinking "What if I do that?" I haven't had to deal with that kind of thinking in almost a year. I realized that people who hurt people do not "worry" about it. Worrying about it proves that you are loving and caring..Please go easy on yourself.

Remember, "thoughts are just thoughts". It doesn't mean that you will act upon them.

I encourage you to do as "oldeCodger" advised.."Can you think of another situation in our life that is causing you fear and anxiety?" Find out the 'root' cause of your anxiety.

I hope that you are doing the program, as this will give you the skills at combating this. With this program and God, I've made many strides..I am no longer consumed with "panic"..

God bless you
Momof6

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:15 am

Thank all of you for your comforting comments. It makes me feel better.
I've had the program for over a year now. I have not gone through completely because I skipped some sessions.
I was affraid I had a very bad disease for about 2 1/2 years because I had some horrible symptoms which, according to the doctors, was allergies and sinus problems. I was still scared of having a terrible disease. Then my anxiety started to kick in after a couple of nights when I couldn't sleep. Now I've had this permanent anxiety for about 3 months now. It gets worse when I get allergy symptoms and/or sinus infections. I had a complete physical done and an EKG and I'm not affraid of the disease anymore but the anxiety stayed and can't get rid of it. It's worse in the mornings and at night. I'm taking some tranquilizers but I don't feel good about it. I'm affraid I'm going to get addicted to them.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:11 am

Boy I'm glad to know others have experienced this. actually those OCD thoughts are what caused my panic attacks to grow worse. I've been told by psychiatrists and also are reading in this manual it made me feel better to know that it is a trait of anxiety/panic disorders.
I haven't bought the program yet. it is awfully expensive for me on social security. sounds like some of you have benefitted from it. I get panic attacks when I think about tackling all these tapes and the whole program.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 pm

It is easy to have these scary thoughts about your loved ones when you are anxious because they are the closest to you. It is important to not give those thoughts any merit. If you do they just try to run away with themselves and you become miserable. Stop them as soon as they start and replace them with a positive thought, even if you are doing it every few seconds. Eventually they fade.

Chrystal

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:11 am

You are not crazy nor does it mean that you have OCD either. Obsessive Scary Thinking is a characteristic of anxiety and panic. You will NOT act on those thoughts, trust me.
I have had much experience in this area. I had some very scary thoughts as well, abour hurting my loved ones (especially the ones I am closest to) myself (suicide was a big OST for me but I was never suicidal) and most of them stemmed from something I read or heard. Then the what if'ing begins right? OH my, well what if I had that thought and it scared me?
Boom, later in the day and night, guess what thought you are having and can't seem to put away? The exact scary thought you "wished" you wouldn't have. Then you set yourself up for days, if not months, of obsessing and worrying.

TTrust me, I have been there. The most important thing is this, and it has already been mentioned, what is it that you do not want to deal with, therefore you are scaring yourself with your thoughts. It is almost always something. I haven't had a bout with scary thoughts in a long time, until.... School began, job position changed and I felt the effects of stress and change and uncertainty. I began to have some OSt's. Thank goodness, I learned what I did. I got over that. It did last two days but I got through it and it hasn't come back. What keeps feeding it is your fear to it and the more you talk about it or bring it up, it adds fuel to that fire. The most important thing to do is not to shun it. That will keep it alive. ACCEPT it. Acceptance is a HUGE part of recovering. So what? You had a wierd thought? Everyone has them! They do!!! Ask! They just blow them off.
We tend to obsess about them for awhile and they become bigger and bigger. You will not act on them they are just thoughts. I suggest listening and working in the workbook on Lesson 10. That will help you tremendously. Acceptance is something that takes tons of practice and patience, but that is all you need to get over it and not let them scare you. Accept, accept, accept. DO not let them scare you. That isn't you. It's just mental noise from something you read or heard. YOu are safe and secure and love your child too much to do that andyou know that! That is why it is so scary to you and that is a good thing!!

Keep up and do the work with Lesson 10. It is soooooo comforting.

Keep me posted.. =)

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:39 pm

It's a thought only. You won't do anything to hurt another - but that's the part that's scary - that you even thought it. Good book by Clare Weeks about this. Once you understand it's common, you can let it go. In that book it was about a nurse afraid she was going to throw out babies out of the hospital window. You are scaring yourself. That's all....

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 am

I can really relate to you!! You are not alone in your struggle. In fact many many people have these thought we tend to analyze and harp on them much longer than someone else. People who are actually crazy believe all the irrational things they do are normal. It will get better!! If you need anything just shoot me a private message.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 am

Is there an easier way to convince your self that it's only a thought caused by anxiety and nothing else? I've been trying to use positive thinking and it seems to work for some while but then it all returns. Is there an effective way to just have these thoughts run through your mind without reacting to them? I've read that what you have to do is to let them pass by and don't react to them but it's been extremely difficult for me not to react on them. It's so scary.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”