Stress and Obsessive Thinking

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:40 am

Hey all!

I'm new here, although I have been through the program once before and am going through it for the second time. My mom did it a while ago, and passed it onto me. I am a college student, and although I have always battled obsessive thinking in some form or another since I was younger, it took on a life of its own once I graduated highschool. I am a very analytical person (aren't we all?) and have always liked to have things perfectly set in my mind - what I'm doing, what I think about this, what I think about that, what I will be doing five years from now, etc.

I entered a relationship with a great Christian guy about a year ago, and that really upped my anxiety. I was at my worst the few months after we began the relationship. My parents and I finally realized that I had OCD, when I found myself checking doors and windows into the night!

I find that I second guess myself a LOT (definitely part of OCD). Being in this relationship has been a struggle for me at times, but I know that I want it and that I will NOT allow my OCD to make a quitter out of me.

I am just wondering if anyone else can relate to going through this transition time and feeling anxious?

Thanks!

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Neverquit,

How do you know that you have OCD? Sounds like you and your parents one day realized that you had it! Being overly protective of securing the home by checking the doors and windows does not make you someone with OCD! I know many people, including myself who is safety conscience! Well I guess it will all depend on how often you check, and check these things! There are other symptoms of OCD, also, do you have any other symptoms to lead you to believe that you have OCD? Were you ever diagnosed by a professional? Everyone has anxiety from time to time, some worse than others! I have anxiety but not OCD and i will pray for you and your relationship with your boyfriend!

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey Pauly,
I have not been diagnosed by a professional, although I have been going to see a licenced Christian counselor. It was to the point where "checking" was interfering with my daily functioning, especially at night.

Thank you for your prayers. :)

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”