I ruined my stepmothers wedding. Help.

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
SusanBrown

Post by SusanBrown » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:40 pm

When I was 9, my father was getting remarried. I had been with my father and my stepmother that whole day, but they had almost treated me like I was not there. I was angry. I was not getting any attention, not even from my father. So I ruined their wedding. For instance, I took off my sandals and started chasing after a boy, and hitting him with the sandals. It was embarrassing, even the camera man took footage of it. How do I get over this humiliating, embarrassing moment in my life? I constantly think about this moment, and it drives me crazy. My stepmother continues to embarrass me about it, and it’s as if both of us can’t let it go. What do I do?

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Susan,
I also have spent my life beating up on myself for stupid mistakes that I have made. Trust me-everyone has made stupid mistakes. You were 9 years old! Do not let the past rule your future. Ask your step=mother is that the biggest thing that has happened to her? Why not tell her that you are sorry, and that you are still embarresed by your childish behavior? If she persists, make a joke and say that you were only trying to make the wedding memorable. Forgive yourself. I've made way bigger mistakes than that and they still haunt me if I allow it. In session 3 you will see that we can control our thoughts. Throw away that ugly memory, think of something you have done that you are proud of. Hang in there. ;)
Keep in touch-you are in good company.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”