Darkness

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:36 am

Thanks Jamie, that does make sense. I guess I was just taking it the wrong way. I figured if I allow myself to think about them, then I would start to enjoy them or something. It tends to be only when I fear these things is when the thoughts bother me. What I can't understand, though, is why I allow myself to think about loved one's dying. I visualize what life would be like without them. And I can't! It's like sometimes I expect a phone call to hear that my whole family was killed in a car wreck. And I try to imagine it, and I guess i'm just wearing my body and mind out.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:58 am

Hi Brandon,
Thanks for answering my question. I know that most of us deal with unresolved issues in our life and I know how debilitating these things can be if we are not able to release them. I have just been wondering lately how internalizing these feelings may bring them out in some other manner that is unwanted. It doesn't mean that we are our thoughts but that maybe these are just some type of emotional/mental release that is uncontrollable. So, it's nothing to worry about in one sense but still, until the issues are resolved, they will manifest themselves in unwanted ways. Just a thought.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Brandon -

I know you want to make sense of all this but anxiety, panic, OCD, and depression are not things that can be simply explained. The human mind is a complicated beast. I wouldn't spend much time trying to figure out why you might have started having these thoughts. Why do we have most the thoughts that we do?

I suspect that most people get unusual thoughts as well, it's just that they don't obsess about them like we do. They recognize that they're just irrational thoughts that popped into their heads and dismiss them. We on the other hand get frightened by them and then focus all our energy on trying to make them go away, trying not to let them scare us, or trying to make sense of them. But as you know, it wastes a lot of time and energy and just makes us feel bad.

Hopefully you can work on the technique offered by your psychologist and get some relief from your obsessive thoughts. The technique we discussed worked for me so hopefully you'll have similar positive results. Just keep reminding yourself that you are a good person and that even though you might have a bad or violent thought, it doesn't mean you'll follow through. Try to accept that sometimes we just think about odd things.

Jamie

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:51 pm

I totally know how you feel about violent thoughts towards dogs and babies, and anything helpless in general. I am a major dog lover and i cringe at the thoughts that populate my head sometimes. I would never do anything, nor would i want to, its just that sometimes i get horror movies happening in my imagination, and it is so depressing. Stay strong and always remember that you are not a violent person, its the mind playing cruel tricks on you.
Maxine xxx

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”