Anyone doing Exposure therapy?

Suffering from OCD? Post your history, experience, comments and/or suggestions
WantMyOldSelf

Post by WantMyOldSelf » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi everyone! I have begun a full-blown exposure and response prevention therapy. I won't lie, it's been really tough and intense.

My obsessoins revolve around a few issues... mainly my love for my husband, and my religious beliefs. Both are equally torturous. Both feel incredibly real, and incredibly scary. But I have overcome this in the past and I know I can overcome it again.

Anyway, I just wanted to start a support thread for maybe anyone else who is going through ERP therapy right now. Right now I struggle with completely accepting the thoughts - and even worse, the feelings - without resistance. tolerating the pain (anxiety and fear) and not seeking relief or reassurance is really tough. And of course, facing my fears and exposing myself daily to my fearful obsessions is really tough.

I hope there are others out there that can relate!

RMENURSE8

Post by RMENURSE8 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:39 am

Hi-

I was in counsling for 1 1/2 years and during that time i was put through a series of 'facing fears' exercises and of course as you know it is a prefered method in coping with false fears that basically do not exist except in our minds that we keep alive by simply thinking it so.

I am curious as to what you are refering to your fear being regarding your love for your husband and religious beliefs. I interpret the religion as guilt and punishment because you are not what your religion wishes you to be? Please share a bit more, this sounds very ground breaking for you personal growth.

Thanks RB

WantMyOldSelf

Post by WantMyOldSelf » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:46 am

RB,

My religious and relationship obsessions have nothing to do with guilt or punishment for not what my religion wants me to be. They are instead very scary and fearful thoughts about losing my beliefs, and losing my husband - both which are very dear to me, and what I value most in the world.

Return to “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)”