advice on assertiveness in the workplace

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
steve87

Post by steve87 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:55 am

ive been working at this one job as a janitor and my co workers always are asking me can u do this cause i dont have enogu time and im like yes all the time cause i dnt wanna be mean. i guess i grew up with all the bad teachings. i wanna say no at times, but i just cant. i feel hopeless and not like the others cause i suffer from all these issues. anybody have some advice

guayhumanperson

Post by guayhumanperson » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:26 pm

I have the same problem. I wish I could give you a good answer. The only way I have gotten better is when people ask can I work late or work an extra day, I can say no now but I have to make up an excuse. It's something I'm gonna have to work on when I get a real job.

BookOfPsalms

Post by BookOfPsalms » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Steve...Remember you have feelings, also...No need to be afraid to say "No"...There is no need to go into lengthy details...No is a complete sentence. Try practicing the art of "assertiveness". I am sure you will gain respect...You are no one's doormat. Stand up for yourself...You are worth the effort...God Bless
+Let The Word Do The Work!+

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”