Assertiveness Action in Training

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:05 am

I purchased a set of bed sheets at Ross less than a month ago, and just having them on the bed once, they have pilled up really, really badly.

I washed them to get them ready to take back to the store, but on the back of the receipt it says "used" items cannot be returned so I called the store.

The first lady spoke to me in an unfriendly manner, she put me on hold and the next lady said I cannot return the sheets or even bring them back for a credit because they cannot be re-sold. And then she said "okay?" in a pitchy voice, like she was ending the conversation.

What I should have done is told her, that it's not okay, that I have these defective sheets that says 360 ct 100% combed cotton but they stink! And what am I supposed to do with them?

Well, I didn't say that, but I did email the corporate office.

Here's the email I sent:
I purchased a set of 360 count 100% combed cotton bed sheets from your xx store on xx. I put them on the bed and within a few nights they started pilling. The pilling got worse and worse until eventually I washed them to take them back to the store, but I noticed on the back of your receipt it said "used or washed" items could not be returned.

I did call the store and was told that they won't take them back for return or credit because they can't resell them. That is obvious, but now here I'm stuck with inferior bed sheets that are full of these hard pills!

I have to say am really frustrated about this matter. I shop at your store quite frequently and can't remember one return I've made in the past year, and am sorry to know I cannot return one item.

I understand return policies but shouldn't a person be able to return something that is defective.
Here is the response I received:
Dear :

First of all, my apologies for the problems your experienced regarding a return to our xx store. If you can please leave me a contact number so I can forward this information to the District Manager, Mary Williams, who is responsible for this location.

Once the District Manager has reviewed your comments she will call you.

Thank you again for taking the time to let us know what you experienced.

Respectfully,

The real test, if they tell me I can return the item, is going to the store after reporting them. LOL
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:24 pm

Sissy...I do not blame you in the least!!! This is a case of false advertising!!! They need to pay for this one, so, others will not have the same experience with these sheets as you did!!!

Hooray...First of all, for the way that you wrote the letter...Secondly, for the stance you took on your behalf, as well as, for others!!!

I am sooo proud of you!!!! You are my Sissy, indeed!!!! Love Ya Bunches...Sissy..

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Dear Ms t Bones
i want to thank you for your great enegie you sent in this site.
just to keep it short, last week i was having a bad couple of hours and once i got in this site i saw a post from you about anxiety being the panic dog and guess what it is my screen saver, it made me laugh and i read all the posts in that page. It gave me such hope and next day i faced my fear with much more ease.
thank you for the comfort.

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Thank you for your support Sissy T!!!

minanyc I know, Ms T has an amazing vibe doesn't she?

Update...

they had a district manager call me from Houston which was the wrong area (wrong state actually, lol) but she listened to me, and had the assistant manager from my store call me.

He told me to just come on by and ask for him.

When I got there, he was right in front and took very good care of me, took the sheets back no questions!

Then as I was browsing around the store afterward, he found me and handed me a card for 10% off my next purchase!

I came home and sent a nice comment back to the company saying how great I was treated at the store.

I am so glad I did that!

The Assertiveness Action workshop succeeded!

Now what else can I do?

LOL!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:34 am

yes shifrah absolutley,i think people like her are a god send to us and one day we will be to someone else i guess it is the circle of goodness and compassion, i am so glad that all of you are here and we learn from each other and support each other.
It is so great to hear that the company took care of you. Bravo for your persistance.
Have a great weekened.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”