Backslider needs work advice

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
Rucca

Post by Rucca » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:16 am

So I could use some improvement in this area. I feel like I often backslide on comments, especially around my boss and co-workers.

For example, I was talking to the owner's husband about the decoration on our front porch. We were in agreement about how the decorator kinda takes us for a ride each time he comes to town. His work does have an edge. However he leaves loose ends, never shows up as planned, and charges an arm and a leg. Well its his wife's friend who is the decorator. So she walks out & says "What are ya'll talking about?" He says, "The Decorator." And she wants to know what were discussing about him/his work. She's like I think its great. And I immediately splurt out "IT IS!"

Ugh! Its so fake seeming and most definately not how I want to present myself. Guess I'm too much of a people pleaser sometiems.

I mean his work is a one of a kind but its not worth the price they pay him each time. This really burns me on the money thing because they can't seem to come up with the money for a raise but can pay him bookoo thousands each time he comes here.

I worked for them a year and a half before I got a raise. When I had found a different job with better pay, they convinced me to stay, saying I would get a two dollar raise after the holidays (which were 5 months away.) I waited my time & when time came they could only come up with a one dollar raise. I took it, of course and even mustered up strenth to inquire about the other dollar. I was told they just couldn't afford it. (Thoough she is on her 3rd new car and 2nd truck in the two years I've known her.)

B.S.

And to add a real hum-dinger....this is really what I need advice on............................. They do not pay overtime. I work overtime. I am not salary. But they choose to ignore the law that says overtime should be time&1/2. Holidays merit no extra pay either. I've been with them 2 years. Its a small family run (not my family) business & I like working here. Trust me, I do have bigger things in the works. But for now, I've moved next door to work 2 months before my big raise was due. They're even my landlords! But what do I do to receive my fair share? My brother in law stopped working for a company who had the same idea of not paying overtime & he eventually received a check to cover all the missed ammounts of his paychecks, after the company was audited. But he was in another state so I don't know if this would apply here too. See, I don't want to nark them out because I really like working here & living here but I want to be compensated for all the hours I've put in and the fantastic job I've done for them. I'm great at my job and it makes me feel unappreciated to be nixed on the raise and not receive overtime. I get no benefits and even though one of the owners is a dentist, I've never been offered so much as a discount at their office. Plus bonuses DO NOT exist around here. Besides the obvious of finding a employer that will appreciate and compensate my work...what do I do immediately? All ideas welcome. I've even asked Dear Abbey what to do about the overtime thing but she must be a busy lady because I've heard nothing. I don't feel like I can approach the owners about this but do need your ideas. Thank you.

Prv31Mom

Post by Prv31Mom » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 am

Rucca,

I used to work for a family run business (albeit a pretty big operation), but the owner would say all the time that he would rather pay the fines to the govt (OSHA, DOL, whatever) than pay for the "right" thing (proper safety equipment, overtime, holiday pay, etc.) because it would cost him less. Believe me - I totally get what you are saying!

I guess you have to weigh it out first of all. Do you enjoy your job and the place where you live enough to be worth the headache of the rest? After you decide that then you can work on the legal issues.

Yes, of course you can, as you said, nark them out, but I KNOW what that does - and you could find yourself out of a job and home! It's not fair, but as Lucinda says, Life is not fair!

If you really like this job, then I would just go to the owner at a calm time...make an appointment if you have to...and start the conversation on a very positive note - about how much you enjoy your job and the aspects of it that you like...perhaps something about a great thing you did to show what an asset you are to their company...and then say something about all of the over-time you work and how you appreciate the financial situation that the company rests on (even if it is BS - :))...so would it be possible to get comp time instead of overtime pay? I mean - if they are going around the law, I don't see why you can't ask to be compensated SOME HOW.

I see we're in the same state, so FYI - here's the law on your situation: <A HREF="http://www.nclabor.com/wh/faqs.pdf" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nclabor.com/wh/faqs.pdf</A>

As to back-pedaling on comments...you will feel better about yourself if you stand up for what you believe in. Everytime you back down from a stand, you are actually telling yourself that YOU do not trust your own judgement...and therefore injuring your self esteem about your ability to make decisions! You are worth more than that! :) OF COURSE, in any business setting there is a little bit of the "schmoozing" conversation that goes on - after all - we all want to keep a job with a paycheck, right? - but at what cost?

If you are not supposed to know how much she pays the decorator...then you really can't comment on it. However, if it's common knowledge, then maybe you could something like, "I really like this "whatever" about his work (or this aspect). He is really good at...whatever, but...for a FRIEND he sure charges you a lot!" Or stroke her ego, if it's appropriate - tell her that you think SHE has a much more creative flair...or if you want the job...tell her your ideas for how you could do it better (and charge her less - ha ha).

My ex-boss hired his wife to decorate our offices and paid her WAY, WAY, WAY too much - plus paid retail for everything she decorated with (and they weren't cheap places she shopped!!!)...and then he would turn around and make the employees pay for their own safety equipment, send them home if they punched in one minute late, and THEN dock their pay for the day's percentage of their medical insurance that he paid (which was not much either!). Family businesses are great for something, but if you're not part of the family...you feel it.

Hang in there!!!

Blessings,
Dawn

Rucca

Post by Rucca » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:05 am

Hi Prv31Mom!

Thank you for the good advice. I've given some time to contemplate what you've said. I've come to realize that thier are other perks to my job which I can hold onto mentally as compensation for where the overtime pay lacks.

I wanted to not only thank you for your support but also to offer a suggestion back to you. I do not know your history, if you are on meds., or would like to be, but............ I just found out that Duke Medical Center offers free clinical trials for many mental health issues including axiety & depression. I spoke with someone from there this morning and thought of you since you said we live fairly close to one another. I don't have insurance so this is perfect for me. Also, I highly trust Duke's Medical Team and feel safe with my decision to participate in thier anxiety studay. If you might be interested as well, the website is ....... <A HREF="http://www.dukehealth.org/clinicaltrials" TARGET=_blank>www.dukehealth.org/clinicaltrials</A>
In fact, they offer a large array of free clinical trials. I hope this can help you too in some way.

Thanks & Take Care,
Laura

A/P PRO

Post by A/P PRO » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:53 am

This topic hits a nerve with me. I've been working 11 years for a family run business. I like my work, but don't like the discrepencies that exist depending on whether or not you're related to someone else who works there. In addition to the obvious family owners, there are various sub-dynasties - other clumps of families who exert power and waste company resources simply because their relatives will not correct them even if they do hold positions of authority. It's easy to say "get another job", but it's not that easy to do. I've been looking for several years and have had some interviews, but no job offers. The kind of work I do (detailed, clerical) is not in high demand. Most of the ads I read say "must be able to work in a fast-paced, high-stress environment", which I have no interest in. I am making progress in the program, but I admit I still have fears regarding the current job market and financial situation. I do not have the means, either physically or financially, to go back to school. I am not interested in service-oriented jobs (unlike most of you, I really don't like people) and it seems there is less and less out there that I can do. I was hoping typing this out would help me clear my head, but it hasn't. Most of the time I try not to think about my dilemna, because my efforts have proved fruitless. Someone mentioned the lesson on change - perhaps when I get to that lesson I'll have a breakthrough. Thanks for listening.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”