I feel like my assertiveness is turning into something more adversarial

Respect yourself enough to stand up for yourself; your feelings, concerns, and opinions and ask for what you want. Also, learn how to say “no” without feeling guilty
MinnChad

Post by MinnChad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:43 am

I've been gaining respect when sticking up for myself when someone crosses the line, and that's great.
However, I feel like I'm going a little too far with my asserverion sometimes and acting like an adversary instead of an assertive person.
I'm still confused in some cases in when I should assert myself and when I should just let it be.

I feel like sometimes I let some anger out during some of those 'not really sure if this is a good reason' assertive confrontations and I feel that it makes a bad impression. However, on the same token, if I let some anger out when I know that I should assert myself, I don't feel bad about it, becuase I'm sure being assertive is the right thing to do.

I can't think of anything else to write.
Thank you for reading.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:07 am

I think that's very common when you're learning to assert yourself. It's not an exact science so there are times when you can go too far with your anger. I think the more you keep trying the more comfortable you will become with it. Also, if you think about it, the more you do it and nip things in the bud with your assertiveness the less pent up anger you will have and so it will be less likely that you will go too far with your anger or take it out on the wrong person. You know anger isn't a sin. There are times when anger is appropriate, it's just how you express it and when. There's scripture that says "Don't let the sun go down on your anger." So, it looks like you are just trying to deal with things as soon as they happen. Good for you for you for standing up for yourself:). You will keep improving.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 am

I loved youre input. On new years day I punched the wall because i was angry and unble to control that feeling. Now I have an appt for a x-ray (my index finger has been hurting). Anger is like acid that eats up what it gets on!!!
we can work on managing anger. Write a plan and when it comes on ...practice!!!.

Return to “Session 7 - Assertive Behavior: Speak Confidently, Gain Respect”