exercising+reduction of caffeine/sugar= less anxiety

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
sfargom

Post by sfargom » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:22 pm

OK, so does anyone have real bad issues of controlling caffeine and sugars? I'm doing fine on the caffeine part, but trying to eliminate sweets is crazy hard to do lately. However, I feel that maybe if I exercise and eat right could take my mind off eating the bad stuff. Are there any other suggestions that would work? Sometimes i feel that i'm still weak or don't have a sense of control/will power to stay away from the urges for the bad food. Any feedback and advice is appreciated!
~Jason

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:32 am

Jason,

I can relate. Giving up caffeine wasn't a problem, I didn't consume much in the first place. But giving up all those extra sweets is soooo hard. I work in an office and I have candy on my desk all the time. Because it is close to Halloween I have a basket of chocolate in my face everyday. I was just lamenting to my fiance and Mom about how hard it is not to reach for the candy.

So far I have been successful by using the following techniques:
1. Ask myself, "am I hungry?" if I'm not hungry then I won't be eating anything - especially not the candy or chocolate.
2. I keep a healthy snack at the office now like an apple with peanut butter or some trail mix with fruit pieces in it instead of chocolate. This way when I am hungry, I eat my snack first and usually when I'm done I don't crave the sweet as much because I've given myself a more natural 'sweet' (fruit) plus I'm not hungry anymore.
3. When I'm not hungry but I'm just craving that candy I ask myself this, "Why do I want the chocolate?" usually it is because I am bored or stressed. Once I identify why I'm craving it, I can address the problem causing the craving instead of just giving into the craving.
4. (this may not be applicable to you but..) When all else fails I remind myself that being healthy and slimming down feels a whole lot better than the few seconds of yumminess the candy will give me.

I just started exercising a little everyday, so I can't say if it'll make a difference with the cravings yet...but I sure hope so. Good luck!!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:23 am

Hi Jason,
I've noticed that many people with anxiety have this problem, ie craving sweets.

I think that most of us with anxiety also have some type of impaired adrenal function (due to stress). One symptom of adrenal issues is craving sugars, and also salt. However, eating sugar works against adrenal repair. I think part of the reason this program works is because it involves cutting out the sugar and caffine. Also learning to relax and sleeping enough. Going to bed by 10 o clock is VERY helpful for adrenal repair.

I've started taking sea salt (not table salt, as it is processed and trace minerals are removed) for my adrenals.

Take care,
Ocean

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:47 am

I have not even dealt with this. Avoiding, avoiding, avoiding! I am still having my 2-4 cups of coffee in the morning and when I feel like I'm getting "reved up", I just notice, breathe, relax.I do not like this feeling BUT I must like it in some way or get something out of it. I am a recovering alcohlic and when I did have my last drink I began to realize I drank many times just to change the way I felt inside.
I'm sure that is why I go for coffee or sugar.To change the way I feel. I also feel that evereything in moderation is ok so I haven't quit the coffee in the am because I am trying to CONTROL it to see if I can manage it, enjoy it and not have panic because of it.
I am finding I can do it but I am probably not getting 100%of the results from the program.
It must be a stubbord addiction.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:39 pm

Thank you all for your input on this subject. ~ Susie, I'm thinking that since sugar and caffeine triggers anxiety levels to go up, that is why we should reduce and completely go off these substances until we complete the program. However, if you feel you are having success, then you are one step ahead of the rest of the people that make it to session 5. Just remember that it does hinder your progress, and the long term goal is to be able to handle life's stressful issues so that our anxiety will not increase and make us feel uncomfortable again!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi,
I am on session 4 of the program and plugging along. I too love my sweets sometimes I prefer them over regular food but since having this problem having dramatically reduced my sugar intake it's soooooo hard I agree. I allow myself to have sweets anywhere before 9pm this way it doesn't interfere with my going to sleep if I eat anything after it will rev me up and I'll be up. I agree we must reduce our sugar/caffeine as much as we can until we get through this program. Good Luck. :)

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:24 pm

Hello!
Getting off the caffeine was not as hard as I thought it would be. I was a huge coffee drinker, 2-3 cups every morning and usually a Starbucks in the afternoon. But, when I realized that it was triggering my anxiety I knew that I had no choice but to give it up. The sugar wasn't too bad but I'm also watching my sodium as I have learned that it will also increase anxiety. When I googled how much sodium you should have in a day I found out that you should not exceed 2400mg per day but 2000 is better. If you have high blood pressure, which I do, then you should try to keep it around 1500mg. Have you ever looked at the food in your kitchen and checked the nutrition labels? You would be amazed at how much sodium is in everything!! Good luck everybody!

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”