MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Deener

Post by Deener » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:18 am

When I went through the program I got off of suger, caffeine, and salt but still found that I was really not that much improved. I started thinking about foods I ate and how I felt afterwards. After meals were terrible for me but it was a bit more than "regular anxiety". I had even gone to my doctor with complaints of anxiety symptoms especially after eating, no help there. So I started reading ingrediants in eveything and the culprit was monosodium glutamate aka msg. I got rid of that ingrediant and WOW the difference. It wasn't the cure but it sure helped. Of course my list of foods became very limited but it has been well worth it. I hope this may help someone else. Good luck!!!!! :)

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:30 am

I notice the same thing w/msg and my anxiety. My moms cardiologist told her after she had a quadrupal bypass not to eat any msg he said it was bad for your heart. Ever since then I've always ordered my Chinese food w/out msg in it but I didn't think to look at other foods that may contain it.

I've noticed lately anytime I eat any processed carbs my anxiety is worse, seems like only fresh meat/fish and veggies don't affect me this way.

amyw

Post by amyw » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:57 am

Hi eastcoastgirl...Finally someone who believes the msg thing! haha When you start reading the ingrediants in food you will find msg in most everything. Canned soup, ranch dressings, alot of seasonings in packs, or most things battered. I don't even eat out anymore. ha I noticed the processed carbs affect my anxiety also. I always steam fresh or frozen veggies, and rarely ever flavor meat with anything besides pepper, garlic or other "safe" seasonings. Every since my drastic change in diet, I have noticed more people turn down dinner invites though! haha I'm also glad you mentioned what your mom's cardiologist said about msg...my dad constantly tells me it is all in my head and I could eat it if I really wanted to. So thank you for that little tidbit.

h.beth

Post by h.beth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:09 am

Good for you for finding the culprit! MSG is awful. My husband and I are really vigilant about what we eat. We'll eat out once in awhile but most of the time we make sure we know exactly what's going into our body. Processed foods are not good. Yes, they are cheap and convenient but they are so not worth it. The key is to eat fresh foods. All the preservatives in processed foods are just unnatural and our bodies aren't used to it.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:56 pm

I haven't been on here for a while. Things have been getting much better. When I think of where I was last year at this time, it was not good. The program and a few life changes has really helped.
I'm glad others have the same problem with MSG. I only figured this out a few weeks ago. I was feeling pretty good last friday after getting home from work. I felt like having some 'organic corn chips' that were low in salt. I started feeling 'off' (Mild chest cramp, anxious etc.) and I had just been to the doctor and my blood pressure was normaly. It was like I was having an anxiety attack. I went to bed and had a restless night. The next day I felt like all of my anxiety feelings were back and it continued into the next day. I just happened to be talking to my brother about how I was feeling and he said he had food with MSG the other day and the same thing happened to him. That's when the light bulb went off. I'm thinking all processed food should be avoided because if it doesn't contain MSG it probably has nitrates.
when I was younger these things never bothered me but once I hit 40...ouch.
Here's to good health.

Peter

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:43 am

MSG is what is known as a Neurotoxin, it wreeks havoc on the nervous system, how nice of the FDA to approve this additive for us huh? I avoid it like the plague, it would give me Terrible Migraine headaches almost instantly after consuming it! it is almost always in Chinese food restaurant food, make sure and ask if their food is MSG free! a lot of processed and canned foods contain it as well, it's supposed to make you have a larger appetite and eat larger quantities and therefore makes you fatter as well, nice! Good job on staying away from this poison!

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:02 am

I have really done my research on MSG and have also found out that the FDA doesn't require that food manufactors list MSG in the ingreadiants if it is just used in food prep. I am assuiming this means before it is frozen or something of the sort. If you eat out beware also because most restaurants have NO clue if there foods contain MSG and will sometimes, unfortuanately tell you no it isn't, when it really does contain it. Good for anyone who decides to steer clear of this stuff! Best wishes to everyone.

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:42 am

when i eat mcdonals i burp a lot

Post by Guest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:05 pm

I found a neat site with foods containing MSG. MSG is a powerful substance which will alter your well being!

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

What makes matters worse is that since we are already prone to anxiety and panic attacks, the MSG gives it a little kick start with some strange sensations and body symptoms, and then our minds take over from there with the fear and anxiousness.

MSG Rage/Panic disorder: http://www.msgtruth.org/panic.htm

It's purposely used in many foods as a flavor enhancer, but in some foods it's naturally occurring, such as most soy products, like soy sauce, Bragg's Liquid Aminos and many of the soy based meat alternatives.

So many times you won't see "monosodium glutamate" or "glutamate" but when you see soy or soybeans you can be sure MSG is naturally occurring. Remember not everything that is 'natural' is healthy.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:24 pm

Thank you Shifrah for posting these sites. I am very particular about my food and ALWAYS check labels for msg. Now I know why some foods I eat still give me that feeling I get when I eat msg. I didn't realize that it occured naturally. I NEVER eat out anywhere and avoid dinners at other peoples homes, but had NO idea that I was probably eating food containing msg anyways. Thats to bad that so many companies could care less about the people who keep them in business. The msg/rage page was interesting, because everytime I would eat at a certain popular taco franchise (wasn't sure if I should name the place) when I was in my teens and early 20's, I would get a headache and just be soooo grouchy for no reason. I blame sodium alot for the bad feeling I get from foods that don't have msg labeled....so maybe it isn't the sodium after all. Again thanks for the info, it has been most enlightening!!

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”