So what's left?

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
Rhasslariel

Post by Rhasslariel » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:29 pm

Okay. Started session 5 today. Listened to the CD, and skimmed through the workbook (will get to it in full tomorrow). Here are my worries. They tell us sugar is bad. I know soda's are bad, and refined sugar is bad. But they're telling us even fruit juice is bad. Pure orange juice is bad now? I always thought it was supposed to be good for us. Its even recommended by the American Heart Association. And what about pineapple juice, apple juice etc. I'm talking the pure stuff, not what's mixed with grape juice. I've never been a big coffee drinker, the most I'd ever have was two cups in a day, and not everyday. Now I don't even have that, I'm afraid to. Same with tea. I used to drink green tea as an antioxidant. Now I'm afraid to. I've heard the decaf variety doesn't have the same antioxidant properties. So what's left? Water and only water? In the work book, they list orange juice as one of the things we can drink. So which is it?
As for foods, if no fruit juices, then what about the fruits themselves. They still have the sugar. What about cereal that may be made with some sugar, but I don't add to. I know organic foods don't have added sugars, and have more vitamins, but at sometimes triple or more the price of their traditional counterparts, I can't afford them. And they stress proteins from lean meats. What if you want to follow a vegetarian diet? And what about dark chocolate. That doesn't contain caffeine. Yes, it has some sugar, but not the amount milk chocolate has, and its another proven antioxidant. As a kid, I ate sweets, and drank regular tea (with a lot of sugar), and ate all the things that are now supposed to be bad for me, and I didn't have an anxiety disorder. Or suffer from depression. Yes, I've had the jitters from too much caffeine or sugar in my life, but it wasn't the same feeling as I get from the anxiety now. My husband LOVES caffeine. He refers to it as "consciousness fuel" LOL. He'll walk in to sit at his computer with a 1 liter glass of tea, a cup of coffee (with sugar and cream), and a bottle of SOBE energy drink, licking his lips and saying "Mmmm, caffeine is our friend". Yet, he doesn't suffer anxiety, at least not from that. He does have trouble sleeping, but that's from snoring (due to his weight and deviated septum) and his horrific nightmares (due to his childhood). He's also a big meat eater. I can't afford two completely different diets, so often I do without so I can get what he's willing to eat. (If he doesn't like something, he won't even try to get used to it, he just won't eat until I can pick up the thing he does like). So now with this session, I'm left feeling that there's almost nothing I can eat, or I'm afraid of eating things 'assuming' they'll cause anxiety. Yet, thinking this way is causing anxiety. And a feeling of depression over not being able to enjoy the things I used to.
"No i brestanneth anírach tírad vi amar."
(Be the change you wish to see in the world.)

keepontruckin'

Post by keepontruckin' » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:16 am

Orange juice is not bad in moderation. I think Lucinda's son is extra sensitive to sugars and OJ does have a lot...but it's natural sugar so your body does assimilate it easier than white refined sugar. Just as an illustration, if a diabetic goes into insulin shock and needs their blood sugar raised quickly, OJ is a common solution. So yes, it's sugary, but good for you if you balance it out with other foods low in glycimic load (diabetic web sites can explain the glycimic index and glycemic load to you). Refined sugar is really not good. There's no way around it. Honey is a better option and can be used as a substitute for sugar in recipes as can apple juice concentrate and bananas. You just need to remember that everyone's body is different. We are prone to anxiety so your husband may be able to handle the caffine while you may not. Yes, it is a trigger and has SO many other negative health effects, it's just wise not to use it even if you DON"T trigger anxiety with it. And just as a side note...I doubt that your husband's horrific dreams are just from his childhood. It has been known for centuries that certain foods can trigger very vivid dreams and it's best to avoid rich, spicy foods before bed...and caffine as well. The best foods out there are vegetables and fruits. We should be eating 6-9 servings of veggies and fruits a day, preferably more veggies since fruits have a higher sugar content. You'll do fine if you stick to a diet that is as close to nature as possible. Stay away from additives and preservatives MSG, high fructose corn syrup, etc. It makes cooking a challenge at times because everything tends to be made from scratch, but in moderation, you can have a good old fashioned dessert and still be okay. Don't stress over it too much. You have to get to that point with baby steps as you would any major change. Over the next year or so, you'll be surprised at how different your diet has become and at how much better you feel without so much sugar!

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:24 am

Oh, just FYI, I do enjoy dark chocolate at times, but try not to eat too much or have it too late in the day...like after 3pm, because it CAN have an effect on your sleep paterns, caffine or no. It's not so full of sugar that it's a real problem. It really is okay to have an occasional treat! If you totally deprive yourself you'll set yourself up for a difficult ride. Just try to start by eating a piece of fruit instead of treats and water instead of pop at least 80% of the time. YOU WILL get to the point that you don't crave these anymore. If you are prone to yeast infections you may feel like a "sugar addict" but remember it's the yeast that wants it, not your body...and the cravings will pass sooner if you go off sugar cold turkey and treat the yeast infection with probiotics or diflucan or something. Trust me, you'll feel SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:06 pm

I mostly drink skim milk, is that ok or do I need to replace it with water? I pretty much only drink pop at school, and milk at home. I used to drink more caffeine when I had a job, but since I cut back, I hope to keep it that way.

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”