Post healthy foods & recipes here!

Did you know what you eat and drink dramatically affects how you feel? Learn how to calm yourself and feel more energetic through diet and exercise.
missgsr

Post by missgsr » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:27 am

Since I've started fueling my body with healthy, nutritious foods I've discovered a lot of yummy stuff that I'm really excited about! When I first started eating better, I didn't know what to eat! I felt like everything was bad for me in some way or another and struggled to find foods that were healthy and gave my the stuff I need. I thought it would be great to have a place to post good-for-you items or recipes that we've discovered/created!

Here's a few of mine:

"Nature's Path" Organic Instant Hot Oatmeal, Hemp Plus (Only 6g of sugar per packet!)

Homemade Chicken Veggie Soup (really easy to eat and easily digestible)
*Broth from a whole organic boiled chicken (you can also pick the chicken off and use it in the soup if you wish)
*FOR FLAVOR: garlic, ginger, italian seasoning, parsley, sea salt
*ANY/ALL FAV. VEGGIES: carrot, onion, leek, potato, cabbage, mushroom, corn, etc.
*OTHER HEALTHY ADDITIONS: brown rice, quinoa, tofu, wheat pasta
*NOTE: There is plenty of other good stuff you can put in soups. I just try to make mine as simple and easily digestible as possible.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:12 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by missgsr:
When I first started eating better, I didn't know what to eat!
QUOTE]
Thank you! This is a wondeful post. I don't have anything to add yet, but I'll be watching for more healthy food choices to be posted here!

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:23 am

Hi all-

I had to get off of wheat (which just was easier if I looked for gluten free foods) and then did my best to cut out anything that was not fresh and organic. I only add healthy "sugars" to my foods (agave, honey, etc.). I also cut out processed foods or refined foods.

All this is very easy to do, once you get the hang of it. I know it can be harder when you are depressed to make yourself healthy foods, so I make extra and freeze it.

I hope you are doing well. Good luck on your journey to health. -J

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:36 am

Originally posted by nspyredj:
I had to get off of wheat (which just was easier if I looked for gluten free foods)
Ahh, yes. That reminds me. I love my:

Pacific Bakery Kamut Bread - the ONLY ingredients are kamut flour, filtered water, and sea salt! I buy it at Whole Foods (it's in a refrigerated section).

You can see all of their wheat-free products at:
<A HREF="http://www.pacificbakery.com/products.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pacificbakery.com/products.htm</A>

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:42 am

I use ground turkey instead of hamburger, it has a lot less fat. I buy the 93% fat free stuff. I use it in chili soup, sloppy joes & what ever else I can think of. It’s good & healthier than hamburger.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 am

Me and another member have been private messaging about this very topic. It can be very hard to find yummy healthy recipes. I use cookinglight.com (great magazine and great website) to find new recipes. My fiance and I also just experiement with healthy ingredients. Here are some of the things we have come up with or come across that we really enjoy: (I included ingredients & directions)

STUFFED BELL PEPPERS W/SALSA
Ingredients:
4 large bell peppers
1 cup dry rice (white or brown)
2 1/4 cups water (1/4 for taco seasoning)
+ enough water to fill 3/4 of a large pot (the bell peppers need to be submerged in boiling water for 5 min)
1 packet taco seasoning (low sodium)
3 large carrots
1 large onion (red or white)
1 medium zucchini
(1 lb cooked chicken or lean ground beef can replace carrots, 1/2 the onion, zucchini)
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mexi mix)
1 Tbs olive/canola/vegetable oil
2 Tbs finely chopped cilantro
1 lime
1 tub store bought salsa (i have some good recipes for homemade but it's kind of a hassle to do all of this at once)
Directions:
1. Pre-heat over to 350 F
2. If using meat, in a medium sized skillet cook mean with 1/2 chopped onion over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is carmalized & season according to directions on taco seasoning packet then set aside. If using veggies, finely chop carrots, onion and zuchinni. Saute in a medium sized skillet with 1 Tbs olive/canola/vegetable oil until tender. Season with taco seasoning packet (less water needed w/veggies) then set aside.
3. In a medium pot combine 1 cup rice and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stir once then cover with tight fitting lid and simmer. About 15 min for white rice and about 25 min for brown rice. It is finished when all water has been absorbed into rice. It is normal to have some of the rice stick to the bottom
4. While rice is cooking; cut tops of bell peppers off and remove seeds and pulp (not sure what it's really called..the white stuff).
5. Fill large pot 3/4th with water and bring to boil. Submerge each bell pepper for 5 min.
6. When rice is done, remove from heat, add cilatro and juice from 1/2 a lime and stir.
7. Arrange peppers on a cookie sheet or in a dutch oven. Fill 1/2 with rice, 1/2 with seasoned meat or veggies. Top with shredded cheese. Cook in oven for 10-15 min until cheese is melted.
8. Serve with salsa (and low fat sour cream)
9. I like to save any leftovers for lunch the next day and eat with tortilla chips.

VEGETABLE LASAGNA
Ingredients:
1 box oven ready lasagna noodles
16 oz ricotta cheese (I've heard of using low fat cottage cheese too but haven't tried it yet)
1 egg
1 jar spaghetti sauce
3 large carrots
1 medium zucchini
1/4 to 1/2 a butternut or acorn squash (whatever's in season or available)
1 medium onion (white or yellow)
1 ear corn or 1/2 cup frozen/canned corn
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 bell pepper
1 Tbs olive/canola/vegetable oil
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or parmasean cheese
Directions:
2. Soak noodles according to box directions
3. While noodles soak, chop/dice veggies (carrots, zucchini, squash, onion, corn, bell pepper, garlic). FYI, the squash may require some elbow grease to chop but it's worth it
4. Saute all veggies except corn in oil in a medium to large skillet until tender. Add corn and cook for 1-2 more min. Season with Italian seasoning (available at most stores in the asle with the other spices).
5. In a baking dish or dutch oven cover bottom with a layer of sauce. Then layer in this order: noodles, ricotta cheese mixture, veggies, sauce. End with noodles, top with a little more sauce and mozzarella or parmasean cheese.
6. Bake for 15-20 min until cheese and sauce bubbles.

ENCHILADA PIE
Ingredients:
corn tortillas (5-6 in diameter)
small can diced green chilies
2 jalapaneos
2 skinless chicken breasts (or 1 can low sodium black beans as meat substitute)
2 can red enchilada sauce
1 packet low sodium taco seasoning
1 small to medium onion (red or white)
1 bunch green onions/scallions
2-3 Tbs finely chopped cilantro
1 bell pepper
1 small can sliced black olives
16 oz reduced fat sour cream
1 cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded low fat monterey jack cheese
Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F
2. Boil chicken until no longer pink. Shred or dice.
3. Dice onion and jalapaneos.
4. Slice bell pepper into thin strips (may way to cut in half so strips aren't too long)
5. In a medium to large bowl mix sour cream, chicken/beans, 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, 1/2 can diced chilies, 1/2 can enchilada sauce, and cilantro (use to taste, I really like cilantro but sometimes it can overwhelm the dish).
6. In a baking dish cover bottom with corn tortilla (I sometimes cut in half to make sure edges of pan are covered). Layer chicken mixture, cheese, onion, jalapaneos, tortilla, enchilada sauce. Repeat.
7. Top with remaining cheese, chopped scallions, and black olives
8. Bake for 10-15 min until cheese and sauce bubbles.
(you can adapt this into actual enchiladas...this mixture is the same just roll into flour tortillas, put filled tortillas in baking dish, cover with enchilada sauce & cheese)

PITA PIZZAS
Ingredients:
wheat pita bread (NOT the kind that is perferated in half for 'sandwichs')
pizza sauce
shredded mozzarella cheese
choice toppings (bell pepper, olives, onion, pineapple, lean ham...whatever)
olive oil
Directions:
2. **This part is a little tricky...there is an air pocket in the pita bread which is why you can cut in half and use as a 'taco' like shell for sandwichs. What you want to do is to use a sharp knife and separate the top and bottom of the bread so you end up with two thin circles.
3. Brush or drizzle with olive oil (for extra crispiness)
4. Spread pizza sauce, top with favorite toppings and cheese (crushed red peppers adds a nice zing, plus I think I read somewhere that red pepper is supposed to be good for choleserol or the heart or something...might want to look that up
5. Bake on cookie sheet for 6-10 min (depending how crispy you like it)

SPICY MEATLOAF
Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
5-8 crackers (ritz, saltines, cheeze-its, stale bread..whatever you've got)
1 egg
2 Tbs BBQ sauce or ketchup
2 tsp mustard (brown spicy is good, so is honey mustard but regular yellow is just fine)
1-2 roasted chipotle pepper in adobe sauce (in a can, usually in asle w/other canned peppers)
1-2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp cayanne pepper
1 tsp pepper
1 small onion
1/4 to 1/2 bell pepper
Directions:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 F
2. Dice onion and bell pepper.
3. Dice chipotle pepper (you can decrease the heat of this by removing seeds, increase flavor by adding a little of the adobe sauce to the mix also).
3. In a large bowl mix (with clean hands...I've used a spoon but hands are just easier) beef, egg, crushed crackers, BBQ sauce, mustard, chipotle peppers, crushed red pepper, cayanne pepper, pepper, onion and green pepper.
4. Mold into a ring or loaf in a baking dish. If you want a glaze just brush BBQ sauce on top. I don't use a glaze...I usually sprinkle on more crushed red pepper
5. Bake for 20-30 min, basically until the meat is done to your liking.

ULTIMATE CHICKEN SALAD
Ingredients:
2-3 skinless chicken breasts (depending how much you want)
1 cup grapes
1 apple
2-3 Tbs light mayo or miricle whip (for the zip), just use enough to coat mixture
1/2 red bell pepper
1 small onion (red)
1 Tbs dijon mustard or spicy brown mustard
handful of of pecans or walnuts
(add other fruits if you want, strawberries, pineapple, cantalope)
(celery is a common ingredient but my fiance doesn't like it)
Directions:
1. Boil chicken, shred or dice
2. Cut grapes into halves or quarters
3. Core and dice apple
4. Dice onion and bell pepper
5. Chop pecans/walnuts
6. In a large bowl mix together all ingredients.
7. Serve with crusty bread slices, rolls, or on crackers...or maybe some left over pita bread

GRILLED SALMON W/ORANGE SALSA (recipe from cookinglight.com that my fiance made for my birthday one year, it was the first time i enjoyed salmon)
Ingredients:
Salsa:
1 roasted chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 1/2 cups orange sections (about 4 oranges)
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges)
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salmon:
1 Tbs coriander
1 Tbs cumin
1 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
Cooking spray
Directions:
1. To prepare the salsa, mince chipotle pepper.
2. Combine chipotle pepper, orange, orange juice, onion, lime juice, cilantro, salt, pepper, minced garlic in a bowl; toss well.
3. Mix coriander, cumin, black pepper, and salt in small bowl.
4. Rub spice mix over salmon.
5. Grill salmon (until flakes easily w/a fork) and serve w/salsa

TUNA MELTS W/ROASTED RED PEPPER SOUP
Ingredients:
whole wheat bread slices
spreadable butter or margarine
can of tuna (i prefer chuck white in water - not oil)
1 Tbs mayo
1/2 stalk celery, chopped
1/4 small onion, chopped
1/2 Tbs relish
(sliced black olives if you are into that like me)
sliced cheese (pepperjack, colbyjack, or american)
Directions:
1. Drain tuna. Mix with mayo, celery, onion and relish
2. Butter one side of each slice of bread
3. Put butter side down in medium skillet, top with tuna mixture and slice of cheese. Place 2nd slice of bread butter side up.
4. Grill over medium low (low if tuna and/or cheese is very cold).
5. When bottom is brown, flip and grill over low heat.
6. For extra gooey meltiness put a lid from a pot over the sandwich to lock in the heat
7. Heat soup (season w/pepper & crushed red pepper if desired)
8. Serve

PEANUT BUTTER STUFFED BANANAS
Peal one part of bananna. Scoop out top third of banana and reserve. Spread peanut butter on remaining banana (in peal) and drizzle chocolate syrup or honey. Replace removed banana. Replace peal. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake in oven for 5-10 min, until warm and serve.

EGO WAFFLE (one of my favs as a kid)
Toast wheat ego waffle in toaster. Top with small scoop of low fat frozen vanilla yogart. Drizzle with syrup or honey.

Please keep sharing...I really like cooking but have a tendency to get stuck in a rut. Thanks for putting up this thread missgsr!

Emma Rose

Post by Emma Rose » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Originally posted by goodwillchic:
PEANUT BUTTER STUFFED BANANAS
:eek: That sounds SO good!

And, yes, please keep sharing! :-)
[COLOR:PINK]|||Progress... Not Perfection|||[/COLOR]

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 am

For those into spicy foods...try this out this recipe my fiance and I found online:

Zesty Zucchini Spaghetti (don't be put off by the zucchini - it's really good!)

1 cup shredded zucchini (we use our food processor, but a regular cheese grater would work just find)
1/3 box spaghetti, cooked al dente (if you put water on right away you should be able to boil the spaghetti while the zucchini cooks)
1-2 chipotle chilies, seeded and diced/minced
1-2 Tbs adobe sauce from chipotle chili can
1 Tbs olive/canola oil
1 Tbs minced garlic (3 medium cloves)
1-2 diced Roma tomotoes (we added this to recipe)
1/4 cup shaved parmasean cheese (we just used reduced fat shredded cheddar and it was still yummy)

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add chipotle, sauce and garlic (use 2ne pepper and/or 2 Tbs of sauce for added heat) and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add zucchini and cook for 5-8 minutes until tender (add a little more oil if needed...we did). Throw in tomatoes for another 2 mintues. Finally toss w/spaghetti, top with cheese and serve. We recommend some garlic bread to go with it ;) Enjoy!

Any one else have some good healthy recipes to share?

Goodwillchic

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey! This is a great topic. I do not have a recipe as I am not fond of cooking, but the recipes sound great and I intend to try them.
I will have to modify because I have to watch carbs (diabetes) but it is new healthy recipes to try. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:55 am

<A HREF="http://www.mrsmays.com/index.php?main_page=index" TARGET=_blank>Mrs. May's Naturals</A>

All Mrs. May's products are vegan, non-GMO, cholesterol free, dairy free, wheat free, Gluten free, 0 Trans Fat and contain no artificial colors or flavors.

I get the Trio bars at Costco. They're SO GOOD!

Return to “Session 5 - Eat and Exercise to Minimize Anxiety and Depression”