Support circle for depression

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
suz65

Post by suz65 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:45 am

I want to thank Jupiter 7, Cornflower and Pecos for their wonderful advice. I feel better knowing that I am not the only one who is feeling this way and that you have gone through the same kind of struggles. I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel yet but it helps to know someone else has been there and is. I am trying to think positive thoughts and forcing myself to get out of bed and do something productive. It is still a struggle but I feel that it is helping. I have fallen away from the practice of reading the bible that I learned many years ago but with all the encouragement I feel this will be my next step. Again thank you all for caring and trying to help me through this very difficult time.

noname_2520

Post by noname_2520 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:11 am

:) May God bless your heart and keep forcing yourself out of bed for that is a big step. I advise you to read your bible, even if your laying in bed-i suggest start with Psalms 'cause that's where King David sang out all his troubles,praising God, his problems, and even his depressions, and anger and sadness. I went to the Psalms of King David when I was so low I didn't think I would survive that night. But, obviously, praise God I did and Praise God you are getting out of bed and taking care of yourself (even if it's only getting out of bed). Read them outloud or to yourself:the Lord hears. Talk to Him, even if your laying in bed or while your doing anything-I did this also instead of writing in a journal due to I couldn't write due to the heavy depression; so i started thanking Jesus for my hair that I wasn't bald, i have eyes to see, ears to hear all to "thank you Lord for Dying on the Cross for my sins and you have set me free from the sin that leads to death." I didn't even know how to pray so i went to the psalms and used King David's prayers as my own. Eventually, I remembered the Lord's prayer and I prayed that and doing all of these sure gave me the lift I needed. And I agree, It's like we don't realize other people go through what we've gone through and later on as I started reading the Bible every day,I read Jesus said that all of our Christian brothers and sisters also suffer things that is common to man-there is no one who doesn't suffer anything new due to because Jesus suffered everything for us and he did it without sinning that was common to man. Tell Jesus how you feel, what's going on in your mind,etc. and he will hear and listen like no other and this is having a relationship with him. i urge to read 1 Psalm every day that you think pertains to your situation-if I my ad Psalm 6,19,139 is a place to start and read the same one every day eventually He will lift you up and out of that pit. God Bless you, and may God's grace and protection be upon you and your loved ones. Love and Graciously, Jupiter7

wwjd1

Post by wwjd1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:19 am

This is my first time.

Suz65--Have you ever had a sleep test. Perhaps you have sleep apnea. The relaxation CD and CPAP have worked wonders for me in the sleep department.

Hang in there. You can do this.

suz65

Post by suz65 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:40 am

Where do I find Melissa's blog I am beautiful?

Originally posted by 0:
Suz65: Here's what helped me! I know your in a tough place-I tell ya-I sure know how it is I've been there to and this is recently. Hang in there for the One who created you knows you for He knit you together in your mother's womb and what's more wonderful than that is He thought of you before He created Heaven and earth. He created Heaven and Earth for us. I know this will help you-take great care-Graciously: Jupiter7

Thursday, July 31, 2008
My Thoughts vs. God's Word
By Melissa Taylor

"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." John 10:10 (NKJV)

Do you ever question if you are good enough? I do – I have all my life. Do you dwell more on what's wrong with you than what's right with you? I do that a lot too.

However, one day I realized I was only surveying myself to get those answers. Well, myself with a little help from my enemy, Satan. For a long time I didn't even recognize him for who he was. My negative thoughts and deceitful suggestions just sounded like my own voice.

The Bible opens with the warning of a serpent slithering into the lives of Adam and Eve, filling their heads with lies that separated them from God. They chose to believe the lies. Jesus, too, was tempted by this liar. He was ready though. He knew the Word of God and that was the only weapon He needed to defeat the evil one.

I know I’m not Jesus, but I can strive to be like Him. I find great comfort in knowing He is with me every step of the way. I can also find great comfort knowing I have the same weapon that He had. I have God's Word available to me in the Bible.

When I compared my negative thoughts to God's Word, I was amazed at the differences:

My thoughts tell me to give up.
God's Word tells me to be committed. Matthew 5:33-37

My thoughts tell me “I need it now!”
God's Word tells me to exercise self-control. Galatians 5:23

My thoughts tell me I deserve to come first, be selfish.
God's Word tells me to have humility and put others first. Philippians 2:3-4

My thoughts tell me to get mad and hold a grudge.
God's Word says forgive as many times as it takes. Matthew 18:21-22

My thoughts tell me to seek revenge.
God's Word tells me to be a peacemaker. Romans 12:18-19

My thoughts tell me take all the credit.
God's Word tells me to glorify Jesus Christ. John 17:5

My thoughts tell me I need to look good on the outside and no one will notice the ugly inside. God's Word tells me to be pure on the inside and the outside won't even matter. Proverbs 31:30

My thoughts tell me I'm ugly.
God's Word tells me I'm wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

My thoughts tell me I'm all alone and no one understands me.
God's Word tells me He will never leave me and He knows the plans He has for me. Deuteronomy 31:6, Jeremiah 29:11

My thoughts tell me that I'm just not good enough.
God's Word tells me that I'm His gift to the world and that I was created in His image. Psalm 127:3, Genesis 1:26

I learned the lies must be replaced with Words that are true. That way, when Satan’s lies slither back into my head, I'm ready and I can defeat the enemy.

I admit this has been a challenge for me. I'm so thankful that: I have friends in place who know I struggle with this to remind me of my true identity; I was brave enough to seek counseling when I needed help; I learned that anxiety and depression were not always my fault and I was open to receive medical attention from a professional in this area; my family, especially my husband, who stood beside me even when I was miserable to be around; and, each time I felt like quitting or giving up, I never did.

I don't want to waste time that God has given me to live with negative thoughts about myself and lies that aren't true. That only keeps me from Him and keeps me from the work He has purposed me for. Evaluate your thoughts. Condemning thoughts are not from God. Renew your mind with the Word of God. Do not allow the enemy to separate you from the love of God and the life that was meant for you.

Dear Lord, Fill me with Your Word so that I can live in freedom. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

Becoming a Woman Who Listens to God by Sharon Jaynes

Hope in the Midst of Depression: How to Embrace Life Again by Mary Southerland

Visit Melissa’s blog: I Am Beautiful

Application Steps:
Read the verses in this devotion and write down what God's Word says.

Reflections:
Are your thoughts reflective of who you really are?

Do you look at yourself the way God looks at you?

Power Verses:
Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (NIV)

Romans 8:1, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (NIV)

posted on 5:30 AM

suz65

Post by suz65 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:52 am

Unfortunately without insurance I don't think I will be able to afford a sleep test. If I had insurance I think I would pursue the idea tho. Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Originally posted by wwjd1:
This is my first time.

Suz65--Have you ever had a sleep test. Perhaps you have sleep apnea. The relaxation CD and CPAP have worked wonders for me in the sleep department.

Hang in there. You can do this.

suz65

Post by suz65 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 am

Thank you for responding so quickly. I plan to print this out. :)
Originally posted by suz65:
Where do I find Melissa's blog I am beautiful?

Originally posted by 0:
Suz65: Here's what helped me! I know your in a tough place-I tell ya-I sure know how it is I've been there to and this is recently. Hang in there for the One who created you knows you for He knit you together in your mother's womb and what's more wonderful than that is He thought of you before He created Heaven and earth. He created Heaven and Earth for us. I know this will help you-take great care-Graciously: Jupiter7

Thursday, July 31, 2008
My Thoughts vs. God's Word
By Melissa Taylor

"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." John 10:10 (NKJV)

Do you ever question if you are good enough? I do – I have all my life. Do you dwell more on what's wrong with you than what's right with you? I do that a lot too.

However, one day I realized I was only surveying myself to get those answers. Well, myself with a little help from my enemy, Satan. For a long time I didn't even recognize him for who he was. My negative thoughts and deceitful suggestions just sounded like my own voice.

The Bible opens with the warning of a serpent slithering into the lives of Adam and Eve, filling their heads with lies that separated them from God. They chose to believe the lies. Jesus, too, was tempted by this liar. He was ready though. He knew the Word of God and that was the only weapon He needed to defeat the evil one.

I know I’m not Jesus, but I can strive to be like Him. I find great comfort in knowing He is with me every step of the way. I can also find great comfort knowing I have the same weapon that He had. I have God's Word available to me in the Bible.

When I compared my negative thoughts to God's Word, I was amazed at the differences:

My thoughts tell me to give up.
God's Word tells me to be committed. Matthew 5:33-37

My thoughts tell me “I need it now!”
God's Word tells me to exercise self-control. Galatians 5:23

My thoughts tell me I deserve to come first, be selfish.
God's Word tells me to have humility and put others first. Philippians 2:3-4

My thoughts tell me to get mad and hold a grudge.
God's Word says forgive as many times as it takes. Matthew 18:21-22

My thoughts tell me to seek revenge.
God's Word tells me to be a peacemaker. Romans 12:18-19

My thoughts tell me take all the credit.
God's Word tells me to glorify Jesus Christ. John 17:5

My thoughts tell me I need to look good on the outside and no one will notice the ugly inside. God's Word tells me to be pure on the inside and the outside won't even matter. Proverbs 31:30

My thoughts tell me I'm ugly.
God's Word tells me I'm wonderfully made. Psalm 139:14

My thoughts tell me I'm all alone and no one understands me.
God's Word tells me He will never leave me and He knows the plans He has for me. Deuteronomy 31:6, Jeremiah 29:11

My thoughts tell me that I'm just not good enough.
God's Word tells me that I'm His gift to the world and that I was created in His image. Psalm 127:3, Genesis 1:26

I learned the lies must be replaced with Words that are true. That way, when Satan’s lies slither back into my head, I'm ready and I can defeat the enemy.

I admit this has been a challenge for me. I'm so thankful that: I have friends in place who know I struggle with this to remind me of my true identity; I was brave enough to seek counseling when I needed help; I learned that anxiety and depression were not always my fault and I was open to receive medical attention from a professional in this area; my family, especially my husband, who stood beside me even when I was miserable to be around; and, each time I felt like quitting or giving up, I never did.

I don't want to waste time that God has given me to live with negative thoughts about myself and lies that aren't true. That only keeps me from Him and keeps me from the work He has purposed me for. Evaluate your thoughts. Condemning thoughts are not from God. Renew your mind with the Word of God. Do not allow the enemy to separate you from the love of God and the life that was meant for you.

Dear Lord, Fill me with Your Word so that I can live in freedom. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Related Resources:
Do You Know Him?

Becoming a Woman Who Listens to God by Sharon Jaynes

Hope in the Midst of Depression: How to Embrace Life Again by Mary Southerland

Visit Melissa’s blog: I Am Beautiful

Application Steps:
Read the verses in this devotion and write down what God's Word says.

Reflections:
Are your thoughts reflective of who you really are?

Do you look at yourself the way God looks at you?

Power Verses:
Philippians 4:8, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." (NIV)

Romans 8:1, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (NIV)

posted on 5:30 AM

noname_2520

Post by noname_2520 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:20 am

Suz65: You can find Melissa's blog at:
www.proverbs31.org :)

suz65

Post by suz65 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:43 am

Thanks

kie

Post by kie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey everyone my name is Kiesha and this is my first time in the forum. I just started the program this month and try to get to the program whenever my schedule lets me. But i have been dealing with depression for almost fours due to the pill known as"x". i only did it on the weekend not even for a month just to try to loose some pounds without the dieting and excersing; looking for the easy way out. has anyone became depressed due to drugs? and did you overcome it and how? i was on meds but that takes long to kick in and i was looking for relief right then and there. So i basically been dealing wiith this on a hope and a prayer that things will turn around. i still go the extra mile regardless of how i feel. i have good daays no doubt but i have bad days too and when the bad days hit; it hits hard and feel like i can't do this but some how i manage feeling bad. Then there comes the panic attacks which are a problem but not as much as the depression so can some one please help me?

suz65

Post by suz65 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 pm

welcome to the forum kie