Omega 3 for depression?

Anyone suffering from depression may post their history, experience, comments and/or suggestions. Please refrain from indepth discussions about medicines or other therapies.
Holly J

Post by Holly J » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:15 am

Anyone use omega 3 fatty acids and does it really help with depression?? I also started 2 days ago taking b-12. Does this actually help too?? just curious. I may buy some omega 3 today
"Come to me, all who are tired from carrying heavy loads, and I will give you rest. (Matthew 11:28)"

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:00 pm

I take both of those. Have been doing so for quite a while. Be sure to search for brands all supplements are not alike.There are consumer reports for these. Ask your store for quality supplements.
They seem to help.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:16 pm

there is an add in this months HEALTH magazine for Omega 3 product by GNC its claims to be very effective for depression as well as the other heart and cardiovascular things it is used for.

I take Omega 3, B-complex, and calcium along with a multivitamin daily and yes they help me to feel much better.....give them a good 2 weeks to 1 month to get into your system to feel the full effects.
Dodger

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:44 pm

I love my Omega 3! I've been taking it for about a year now. I took it originally for depression, but there are so many other great benefits. There was a study with a hospital in Boston that was giving it to kids with ADHD and they claim they saw great results with it. I was sold and went on it and felt that it did make a difference. As Dodger said...it does take about a month to see some results. The good news is that while you are waiting for it to "kick" in for depression....it is doing your overall health good.

Lynn

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:21 pm

I give myself a B-12 shot once a week per my doctor's instruction. It helps with energy level and nervous agitation. I just heard that Omega 3's might help with anxiety and depression today. I watched Dr. Amen on TV (change your brain change your life). I am going to ask my doctor about it on Wednesday when I see him. I might add that to my vitamin regiment.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks for the replies!! I think I will add it to my diet as well!! I want to get b-12 shots!! Does that help alleviate depression too?

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Hi Holly

Have u tried Evening Primrose Oil 15 days before period? one pill a day. It balances hormones , good for PMS symptoms, and its natural , not chemical stuff.

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:57 pm

I heard of it and bought it and started to take it but than when i went to a health store the lady said i shouldn't take it because i am not premenopausal. So im like uh. . ok. I dodnt take it long enough to get results. I wasnt consistent with it. i wonder if it'd help me. I have a pretty sever case of PMDD
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:00 pm

I take omega 3 and a sublingual liquid b complex with b12.I started about a week ago and I see a little improvment.The thing I like about the liquid b 12 you can take an extra dose when you need that little extra energy.I take one dose early in the morning before tai chi and it seems to be helping. I hope it works for you.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:58 am

Hey Holly J , I just started taking fish oil (Omega 3) and B- Complex about a month ago. I feel so much better! The depression is gone and the mind racing has stopped, I still have some anxiety, not has bad. I am walking 30 min a day and three weeks ago I could not even get out of my bed. My B/P was also high 160/100 now it is 110/72 . Everyone ask what are you doing ? You look so much better I tell the fish oil! My sister is an Rn/NP. She thinks It’s the B-complex, now she takes B 12 shots. I found that it was to strong for me. Oh something else am a College Student I was having a hard time with reading and concentrating I was thinking I had ADD are something. Now my concentration is 100% better. I hope this helps. Susan