Limitations and expectations? Advice?

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
awake2

Limitations and expectations? Advice?

Post by awake2 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

I would like to know if there is anyone out there who can relate to this and maybe has some insight or advice. I'm going to try to keep this light because it can be kinda difficult. Before I started this program I knew I had bouts of anxiety and depression. I knew there was stuff I wanted to do but couldn't. I didn't know they were avoidances or that my anxiety had anything to do with it, I guess I just couldn't see it to put the two together, until right before I started the program. Kinda funny. Thing is my avoidances are something that I love very much, and I am one of those people that I force myself to do them. Usually, it ends up with me having mini "breakdowns" of tears, frustration and anger, which I now understand are mini panic attacks- I never recognized them as such because I've had two full blown attacks in my life and they don't resemble it. I just thought something was wrong with me for a long time, but I didn't understand what it was. Anyways, so I force myself to do them and it usually ends up me having a mini panic attack, or getting though it and running away to hide like lucinda says with my tail between my legs lol. I'm not sure why but I kinda think I should be over it by now. I've been doing this stuff for seven years. Difference is, I never knew how to handle the panic and now I'm learning these new skills and I recognize that which is a good thing, but I'm still struggling. I just had an panic attack yesterday trying my limitation. I don't know, I guess I never learned how to deal with the panic, live through it and keep going. I always rushed through or had a panic attack and kinda ran back to my safe place. Until I forced myself to do it all over again. And my main concern with anxiety is embarassing myself in front of people. And when I'm doing my limitations, I'm around people and working with people and most of the time, I end up having issues with anxiety and embarassing myself. It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. So I hope these skills work, because I've been forcing myself through my limitations for so long already, I'm a little discouraged to keep going and keep trying them, even with the skills. That felt good to get out:)

marialuv19

Re: Limitations and expectations? Advice?

Post by marialuv19 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi,

Thank you for sharing that...I think it's good that your are working on your limitations like Lucinda said. But she hasn't said to work on them YET..maybe it's too soon to work on your limitations---I give you real credit for trying :D . She said "you don't want to go out and work on your limitations without the skills". Practice makes perfect--but definitely don't get discouraged bc it's still so soon into the program. You will succeed :D

Bryson

Post by Bryson » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:39 pm

sup,

yeah give up, we all experience low points its how we deal with them that matters.I always try to stay in the moment, try to joy in everything. What matters is your trying and don't ever stop.

Vman

Post by Vman » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Hello,
You never mentioned if you were on medications or not. After having anxiety for 5 years I went to my doctor and she gave me some anxiety meds. They do work however I do have panic attacks occasionally. Seek medical advice it can help.
I'm in session 7, what if's. In this section the program is asking us to start attacking some of our fears. Maybe you should just go through the program and get the skills needed. We can beat this thing... its hard and at times scary but we can win, please stick with it.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”