Maybe this is weird...

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
nycgal84

Maybe this is weird...

Post by nycgal84 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 pm

But when I was listening to this session - I was thinking - so am I being told that I need to become a pessimist, in a way? If I don't expect much out of people, then I feel like I am not going to trust anyone and just do things on my own. Does this make sense? I guess if I go into a situation not expecting things to be great - then what is the point of doing them? I couldn't help but think this - so I had to post!

Paisleegreen

Re: Maybe this is weird...

Post by Paisleegreen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Someone else had that same sort of thought and I commented on it, but where is the :?: LOL! I guess we shouldn't expect so much out of people because they are human and they need some leeway for our unrealistic expectations of them. Yep, I know..its hard to think that way...because many of us are perfectionists. :P Paislee :mrgreen:

nycgal84

Post by nycgal84 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:09 pm

Hi there! Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if it reallly has to do with me being a perfectionist. I guess it is more just trying to be a positive person and giving people the benefit of the doubt. My question really is - to be happy, don't we have to have trust in others? If we are constantly second guessing people - and lowering our expectations of them - it is kind of a sad way to live, isn't it?

marialuv19

Post by marialuv19 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:07 am

I know what you are suggesting here. :D ...I work as a beauty consultant and ALL I HEAR my superiors and sales directors above me say is...EXPECT GREAT THINGS AND GREAT THINGS WILL HAPPEN. It's a motto in our sales world--lol.
I always think bad things are gonna happen, which is why I have anxiety. I really think that it's what you believe deep down inside about how the way things "should" be...thats causing alot of the depression and anxiety.

I thought that my sales job would be a breeeeze for me....NOT. I also believed and expected that everyone I approached to give a FREE facial to would say YES...NOT!! Some pple don't want a free facial--some pple use their own skin care line that they are loyal too--AND some pple are skeptical as well. I thought I wasn't doing my job properly if everyone wasn't saying yes--and when I started to hear the NO'S --I got discouraged and then was like ehh--this is not what I "expected". Expect that people are gonna say NO---AND sometimes they aren't even nice about it---expect even your family and relatives to turn you down--and tell you that they don't want it and are not interested. Now I praise myself for even trying, bc it's the effort that counts. Having a realistic view of the world and yourself is necessary. Now--when people say yes to me--or I get alot of PPLE SAY YES that I didn't expect--I think of it as a bonus. And I also think wow----WHAT IF I DIDN'T CALL THAT PERSON BACK---OR TRY AGAIN!!!! ;) It is all about changing your thinking....I have yet to master it but writing it out def helps..

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”