still not sure if the program is going to work:

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
mbdawgsfan

Post by mbdawgsfan » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 am

I am working on this but so far the results are minimum. I am also in the middle of a break-up of 5 years. I am having a hard time focusing on me and that is what i need to get better. having a hard time any suggestions?

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:47 am

When learning a new skill or habit it is human that the results be minimum. It is very unrealistic to have amazing results in the beginning and to expect that only discourages us, makes us feel guilty and inferior. That is not going to help you get better. Your right you are having a hard time and that is more than normal for every one of us who has gone through this program. It is likely to be hard to face this condition because it is a very scary condition and it will also be hard because of our expectations, they work against us. However just because it is hard doesn't mean it will always be hard and it doesn't mean that it isn't worth it. The harder something is, the more exciting and rewarded you will feel after overcoming it.

I am sorry you are going through a break up of such a long relationship, it must be very hard for you and it is understandable if that makes it hard to focus on yourself, it wouldn't be reasonable to fault you for that.

My suggestion is to look at reality. It is your feelings that are causing you to have problems with anxiety and depression and your thoughts cause your feelings. Therefore your feelings aren't necessarily the best way to evaluate progress right now. Feeling is not fact. You may feel that you aren't getting anywhere but if you are even having minimum results then you definately are getting somewhere.

3 affirmations I'd suggest you write down and read to yourself on a daily basis...

1)Feelings are not fact, they are not proof of my progress I evaluate progress based on my accomplishments.

2)Progress is going to be up and down for me and everybody else. I have days where I fall back and days that I go forward and I can handle either outcome. In the beginning of learning anything, progress is likely to be slow but progress builds on top of each other and it does speed up. Moving forward is progress, falling back and learning from that is also progress. The only way I cannot make progress is if I do nothing.

3)Any effort i put towards my goals is progress. Making even the slightest change is like a ship changing the direction it travels. Even if you change the direction by 1 degree you will still end up in a diffrent location.

Mike

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:36 am

Hey, by the way, I have been having the same doubts. I hear, and I believe Lucinda even says a few times in the tapes that it is very normal for people to start the program to think negatively (thinking it won't help them). but one thing she highly recommends they do is to keep at it and do not give up (even though it may be real difficult)...I actually began going through the tapes several months ago. i have been listening to a little of it every now and then. im only on session 4 now btw...well i hope u have a nice day

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”