obession about death. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
I love martial arts

Post by I love martial arts » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:13 am

ok, i know i have a problem and i am willing to express it here for u now. I've had anxiety and panic attacks for about 20 years or so, off and one. Well now I find myself in a giant hole that is hard to get out of. Let me explain.

Back in December of 2000 my dad passed away on the 18th of december. Then in 2005 my father in law passed away on july the 5th, then my grandmother passed away on November 19th of 06. then in 07 a Pastor of the church we used to attend passed away the very same day my father in law did in 05: july 5th and the same hour. Ok now i am freaked out this holiday season. I get these obsessve thoughts that says: what if i'm gonna be next or something like that. Now i've even developed the obsession about the dates be so closly linked. Kinda like that movie "final destanation" How do i over come this and move on??

Also i am on session 8 what if thining and i know alot of it talks about things u should be doing, but how do u talk urself out of a situation like this. When i have the above mentioned obessive thoughts, i feel chest pains. This alsot happens when i eat alot and eat to fast or lay down after i eat. then i start to think "what if i'm having a heart attack", how do u dispell the what if thinking about something like feeling chest pains and all the other symptoms of a possible heart attack?? Any advise would be appreciated.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:17 am

YOU ARE NOT HAVING A HEART ATTACK!! OF COURSE YOU THINK ABOUT DEATH!! BUT, WE MUST REALIZE THAT IT IS WHAT IT IS. A PART OF LIFE. OBSESSING IS WHAT GETS US IN TROUBLE. I UNDERTAND BUT, YOU NEED TO FIND A WAY OF DISTRACTING YOURSELF. THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT THE SYMPTOMS AND THAT YOU FEAR THEM, THE MORE LIKELY YOU WILL FEEL IT. TRY TO DEFLATE IT!! DON OT RUN AWAY FROM IT. ACCEPT THAT DEATH BOTHERS YOU AND MOVE ON. YOU NEED TO MOVE ON FOR YOUR PEACE OF MIND.

TELL YOURSELF TO BRING IT ON! tELL YOURSELF THAT YOU WILL FACE THE CHALLENG AND MAYBE FEARFUL BUT, HAVE COURAGE!! DON'T ALLOW THIS TO OVETAKE YOUR LIFE. bEEN THERE AND DONE THAT!!!! BE LOVING TO YOURSELF, COMPASSIONATE, DO YOUR JOURNALS, SAY PRAYERS, ETC. DO WHAT YOU MUST BUT DO NOT RUNAWAY!!

POSITIVE THOUGHTS PRODUCE POSITIVE FEELINGS....

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”