Should List - Valid shoulds?

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
missgsr

Post by missgsr » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:29 am

I've been having kind of a difficult time deciding whether my "shoulds" are reasonable or not. When I first think of them, they all seem valid for some reason or another. So, I thought I'd share with you how I expanded my "should" list to better understand what was reasonable and what was ridiculous.

1. First of all, I made two separate lists:
* My shoulds for myself
* My shoulds for others

2. I make three columns:
* Should statement
* Why should I (or they)? (reason for should)
* Is it reasonable or valid (should I worry about it?)

This helped me. Hope it helps for others...
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose." -Dr. Seuss

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:49 am

This assignment has been interesting for me. I found when I went back that the earlier work left me with a zero on should. I crossed out all of them and now find a relief for this part of the homework being done. My bigger job is to begin about goals for me, things I 'want' to do. I wonder about the should list and kind of see it as permission to go and do all my life, my patterns guide me into - maybe I could and would :) A valid should?

rose_thorn98

Post by rose_thorn98 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:05 am

I've put an effort into just eliminating should statements period. (they sneak in sometimes but now I am really aware of them) Instead of writing or saying "should" I replace this with "I want to", "It would be beneficial if I", "I would like to", "It would be helpful if", etc. When it concerns other people I replace with "It would be nice if they would......but that doesn't always happen and that's ok." etc. These replacements have really helped stop a lot of my judgmental feelings towards myself and other people and makes me feel like I do have control over what I do. It also helps eliminate an awful lot of self induced stress.
~The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Martin Luther King, Jr~

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”