Understanding expectations

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Juno

Post by Juno » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:29 pm

For some reason I don't think I understand what I'm supposed to be doing this week. Week 3 was clear. I even kept a notebook of negative thoughts. But I'm not sure how to practice limiting expectations. Also, my thing isn't holidays or perfect trips. I don't care about those things. I accept them for what they are. I'm not even sure where my expectations get out of control. I suppose making a list would help. Can someone help me understand how to practice for this session. Thanks.
"If you are calm, you are in control of your mind and body. If you are
upset, they are in control of your mind and body."

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
Abraham Maslow

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:18 pm

Making a list would help you out. Think about the things you expect from yourself...do you expect to master something the first time you try it?

do you expect yourself or others to do things perfect?

Do you expect people to react a specific way to a specific situation?

Do you expect people to know how you are feeling?

Do you expect people to always be understanding?

Try asking yourself these questions and ones similar and that'll help you out.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:51 am

Wow, I do expect to master something the first time I try it! And I do expect people to react a certain way. Ahhh, I see. That really helps. Thanks!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:18 am

What a great reply NinjaFrodo ;)

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”