Trouble translating some thoughts

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
ElectrifiedBrain

Trouble translating some thoughts

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:44 am

So I've written 19 negative thoughts I've had in the last two days, and I'm having some trouble translating some of them. Here they are:

1. Mornings are bad because I'm not a morning person. [I'm half trying to become one so that when I do get a job, I can cope with waking up before 2pm.]
2. My boyfriend "is getting bored of the routine we're in," and I'm afra-id that he'll get bored of me.
3. When Giovani and I have talk on the phone at night, he tends to want to talk too long. I would prefer to go to sleep, but because we don't talk much during the day, I don't have the heart to tell him I'd rather not.
4. Because I didn't save a video game for a while, I did all that work for nothing.
5. Keeping my room clean is too much work.
6. I'm out of money. It sucks to be broke. [I'm on government income.]
7. My acne makes me not attractive.
8. I don't have many friends.

Can you help me translate these thoughts positively?
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

NinjaFrodo

Re: Trouble translating some thoughts

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:55 pm

It can be difficult especially in the beginning. I've been doing this for the last 7 years so maybe I can help you out some. Its about making a complete thought. You state how you feel and the reason for it in order to accomplish this.

Well for the first one it sounds like there is a should there. Are you telling yourself you should be up earlier because you want to get ready to get a job but its hard because you are not a morning person?

2)Good start your boyfriend is getting bored of the routine and your afraid he will get bored of you. What would happen if he did get bored with you? [I would add that on top of what you've already put just to get the fullness of the thought in order to replace it]

3)This one is pretty good but what are you afraid of if you did tell him you'd rather not?

4)The videogame thing I can really relate to by the way, its very frustrating. Its nicely worded but maybe you would benefit more if you said how it felt because of how it happened.

5)Why is keeping your room too much work?

6)I'm also dependant on government income as well and yes it does suck but why does it suck for you. What does it mean?

7)Ok your acne makes you not attractive and why does that bother you? What does it make you feel?

8)So what about not having friends bothers you?

A part of changing thoughts is about connecting with them and in the beginning it can be really hard to do that but if you can state how you feel as well as the situation causing it then you are alot more likely to be able to find a positive replacement for it.

Mike

ElectrifiedBrain

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:17 pm

1) Well, sort of. I want to be able to be up early because a job won't care if I'm a morning person or not. I'll still have to be in by 7 or 8 or 10. I'm more of an afternoon or evening person.

2) Well, I'm not sure, but I'm afraid that he'll leave me if he gets too bored.

3) I'm afraid that I'll hurt his feelings.

4) The video game thing feels frustrating.

5) That's a good question. For the room thing, I never really kept it up when I was little. Now, when I stop using things is usually when I'm too tired to put it back, so I just toss it on the floor and say I'll put it away later, which I don't because I always find some excuse not to. I'm not sure why I'm excusing picking up. I'll have to think on this one, but more than likely, the reason has to do with something from my childhood.

6) Well, it's not so much that I'm on government income that sucks. It's the being broke part that sucks, because I can't buy what I want. I would rather not be on government income because I think taxes are robbery, but I'm too afraid of getting fired in order to look for a job. As well, if I wasn't on government income, I wouldn't be able to help my mom and my brother stay in the apartment we're in. Even if I did get a job and elected to stop my SSI, it wouldn't pay what the government pays me.

7) Well, most people, even my boyfriend, say that I'm beautiful even with my acne, but I think that I'm insecure because the vast majority of people my age don't have acne, and I want to be like them.

8) I barely have anybody to talk to. Most of my "friends" are online, although I don't consider online people to be true friends. I want more face-to-face contact, but people don't proactively try to talk to me, so I'm almost always the one doing the proactive moves, and when I have to do it all the time without any return, I feel rejected.
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

ariel2477

Post by ariel2477 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:45 pm

when i wake up i try to think of what i am going to do today and at least do some of it if i can.
no can help much with positives because i am struggling with them myself.
but as for room cleaning.. my house is really messy. and people do not seem to understand.
as i am starting to have better days.. I do a little in house and when i do i give myself a pat on the back.
its not easy to even have a clean house.
BF.. He is what he is. you could say I accept him as he is.
if he leaves you, so be it. because in a good relationship he will accept you as you are.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:17 pm

ok so let me see if i got the thoughts right

1)I should get up earlier so I can get a job but I can't because i'm not a morning person

2)My boyfriend is getting bored of our routine am I'm afraid he will get bored with me and then leave me and I'll be all alone and can't handle that.

3)I don't want to talk on the phone with Giovani at night, I'd rather sleep but I should talk to him at night because we don't talk much during the day and if I don't then I'll hurt his feelings.

4)I'm frustrated, I played for so long and forgot to save the game so I wasted my time.

5)I should keep my room clean but I don't want to because its too hard

6)I hate being broke, I can't buy what I want to buy and I can't get a job because then I won't be able to support my mom and brother.

7)I have acne and it makes me unattractive, most people don't have it and I want to be like that

8)I don't have any friends in person, I want more friends but people don't proactively try talking to me and I feel rejected when I'm always putting in all the effort.

Does that sound about right?

ariel2477

Post by ariel2477 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:03 pm

get rid of the but's
and listen to cd 4 about the shoulds
and cd 3 is also a good one

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”