Need help coming up with a positive replacement thought!

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
TryingToChange

Need help coming up with a positive replacement thought!

Post by TryingToChange » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:56 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm on week 3 of the program, but this is my first time posting. I definitely believe in the power of self-talk and positive thinking. With a lot of my negative thoughts, I am able to come up with a positive thought to replace them. But there's one (my major negative thought) that I am having trouble replacing. I was hoping maybe some of you would have some ideas or have been through the same thing.

One of my biggest fears is being sick to my stomach (by throwing up or having diarrhea). So I "what-if" think about it and I worry about it a lot. If my stomach gets upset even a little bit, I'll start to get anxious, which of course only makes the stomach worse.

Here's my problem. When I have body symptoms like shortness of breath, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, I'm actually really good at telling myself "it's just anxiety" and "nothing horrible is really happening to me; I'm not going to die, pass out, have a heart attack, or anything." But I can't tell myself "This is just anxiety; I'm not actually going to throw up." or "I'm not actually going to have diarrhea." Because, these things DO actually happen sometimes! So how do I calm myself? I can't imagine a positive replacement thought that would actually make me feel better. I can't imagine saying "it's not a big deal" because throwing up is a big deal to me or getting sick to my stomach, especially if I'm in public or at work, IS a big deal. No, it's not going to kill me. But it is beyond unpleasant and very embarrassing.

Another issue with this body symptom compared to others is that when I get the others, I clearly know they're anxiety, so it's easy to say "this is just anxiety." But when I start to feel sick to my stomach, I don't always know it's anxiety. Sometimes I really am sick to my stomach (stomach flu, bad food, etc). So I can't just say it won't happen or that it's definitely anxiety.

Okay, sorry this post is so long. It's just an issue I'm really struggling with, especially because I'm going off my anxiety/depression meds and my withdrawal is REALLY bad and includes major nausea and upset stomach :(.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks and best of luck to all of you!

Bryson

Re: Need help coming up with a positive replacement thought!

Post by Bryson » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm

All I can say is just go with it. You have to except that this is just another bump in the road that you have to get over. Sorry i don't know what else to tell you. Just keep the faith and don't let this beat you. Its your mind and your life. I believe you can get through this. :D

missobsessive

Post by missobsessive » Mon May 02, 2011 6:46 pm

When you start to get those feelings of your stomach becoming upset, and those worrisome, what-if anxious thoughts start up, replace them with things like....

Okay my stomach is starting to feel upset. If I feel like I am going to throw up or get diarrhea, I can deal with it. I will just go to the restroom. I will take care of myself. I can deal with it.

Don't tell yourself it WON'T happen because like you said, it's possible! So that replacement thought doesn't really match up. ;)

Just remind yourself that if it does happen, you can deal with it.

If it happens, you're not the only person that happens to :D . You're human.

Hope this helps some :)

tbabystroup

Post by tbabystroup » Sun May 08, 2011 11:28 pm

i have to agree with the person who posted before me... don't say it won't happen and do realize you can handle being sick!
another thing you might say to yourself when you first notice the symptom is "okay my stomach is feeling funny. i am not going to let myself obsess over this... if this is anxiety it will settle down on its own and if its not it will still be okay because i can handle this!"
i don't personally have anxiety about my stomach issues.. i think bc i've had them so long... but i do have hypochondrias about almost every other little thing that seems off with my body so i know how hard it can be to try to ignore the little things... but i have started trying this self talk and it is starting to make a small but noticable effect! just keep pushing forward!!!
~theresa~
**Beautiful pictures are developed from negatives in a dark room. so if you see darkness in your life, be reassured that a beautiful picture is being developed!!**

Jannacle

Post by Jannacle » Mon May 16, 2011 10:57 pm

Think what you would say to a friend or family member who you knew was having the same problem and thenk of the words that you would say to them and write them down! It really helped me.

chris001

Post by chris001 » Fri May 20, 2011 5:15 pm

You said you are getting off your anxiety meds and depression meds. This can be very hard! I couldn't go off my depression meds quickly. It actually took me 8 months to taper off. I tried to just quit and I turned into the Tanzmania devil. I suggest you talk to your doctor to see if the withdrawal from meds could be making your anxiety worsen. Good luck...my heart goes out to you.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”