Family and anxiety/depression

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
marialuv19

Family and anxiety/depression

Post by marialuv19 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody has family issues that increase anxiety and depression. I live at my house with a family that I feel just worsens my problems. Sometimes I feel like I cannot be happy living here and sometimes I feel like I have no choice..if I just be quiet and do what they want me to do then it'll be ok. It's so hard to be able to afford living on my own--I wouldnt even know the first thing about doing it.

Anyway..my mother is the main problem in my life. She tells me to get out of her house but then the next day she treats me like her beloved daughter :cry:
No matter what I say ---or if I try and prove a point--and argue with my younger brother who is also a jerk; she steps in and just tells me to go f*** myself. I know she has problems of her own....but I feel like I live in a house completely devoid of love and affection. So many times I wish I could pick up my things and leave but I have no place to go.....she puts me in that position and I just don't wanna take this crap from her or anyone anymore. I feel like Cinderella...like I live with a wicked stepmother--and "sisters"---but it's my REAL family. What kind of a mother says things like that and puts their own flesh-n-blood in that type of position? I don't know what to do....I know I'm 30 years old and most of my friends are out of their houses---but I have not been that fortunate yet. Just wondering if anyone can relate to this..

ab1982

Re: Family and anxiety/depression

Post by ab1982 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:14 am

The fear of doing it on your own is holding you back. It';s your fear. So, remember what Lucinda said - be scared and do it anyway, cuz this is the only way out. You will not get better living in the same situation you're living now. Look for a roommate, ask your friends if they know of someone who wouldn't mind renting out a room. If you don't have a job, you need to start looking for one. When you break free from that house, you'll feel so empowered! But as long as you remain where you are, little progress can be made.
I wish you to find all the strength withing yourself you need to make this big first step to recovery!

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”