HELP

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Highstrungmom

Post by Highstrungmom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:59 pm

I have had the program for over two years now and get to session 3 and quit. I am trying to stay committed to the program but it has taken me nearly 5 weeks to get to session 3 again. I am now trying to write down all my negative thoughts and it is hard for me. Seems like that is all I think. I would be writing all day long. It has taken me several days to start writing them down but now that I have started I am a mess. When I do write a possitive I am not believing it. This is really making my life hard. I have had panic attacks for about 14 years now and am so tired. They make me feel like such a failure. Im on high doses of Zoloft and Buspar and then I have somthing for the panic attacks. I need help!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:03 pm

hugs to you.
Take a breath and take it easy on yourself.
You CAN do this!

Take baby steps and PLEASE don't try to write down ALL your negative thoughts in detail.
The homework section of this lesson asks us to write down five negative statements and counter them with a positive statement and then in the end of the action assignments - I believe it's within the last 4 or 5 of them -it advises to write a few more in our journal.
It's practice and it is tough but take it a bit at a time. We have all week to come up with these. Try doing one or two a day. Keep it simple.

Sometimes when we're full of anxiety we read too much into things. 'For instance, go back and SLOWLY read the action assignment -#8 in my workbook-
Keep a small spiral notebook with you all day ONE day this week.
Make a "tic" mark in your notebook -that's just a little check mark -each time you catch yourself thinking a negative thought.
takes a few seconds to do this each time.

This is such an important session in the program and we don't have to get it perfect the first time around. You'll be repeating a lot of session 3 in other sessions. As you get further along in the program this will be more clear to you.

You do NOT have to believe the positive statement as soon as you write it. Eventually you will believe it as your thoughts progressively become more and more positive.

I had panic attacks for about 30 years. I was a mess -could not drive even 1/4 mile without a massive panic attack, had them at home all the time, became agoraphobic, and my anxiety level was through the roof.

Four years ago I completed the program - twice through and today I thank God every day for this program.
One year ago my husband passed away suddenly and if not for my hard work with this program a few years before - well -it was hard and without my coping skills it would have been worse.

Go for it.
Change the "I am trying" to " I AM going to work this program and succeed !!!"
Repeat this over and over, day after day and week after week and you WILL believe and you will succeed.

Your panic attacks will be a thing of the past someday.

More hugs.
God bless !

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:57 am

Thank you so much Cindy Lou and my heart goes out to you for the loss of your husband. I really needed the advise. I went to the chat room and found me a buddy who seems to have about the same fears as I and her and I exchanged emails and we started this morning. Pray for us. Her name is ShakyGirl and she has a brand new baby. I am really looking forward to having a program buddy. Thanks for your time and advise.

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:48 am

What cindylou says is very accurate and I'm also sorry for the loss of your husband, i can't imagine how hard that would be for anybody to go through that.

I just wanted to add something. There are books and such you can find in order to learn how to more effectively replace thoughts...Mind over mood is a good one as well as Feeling good Handbook by David, D Burns (i prefer the feeling good one).

I kind of jump between both of those book's methods.

One thing that might help you is instead of trying to replace a negative thought with a positive one, try replacing an irrational thought with a rational one. IE

"OH my god here it comes again, I'm not going to be able to handle it. I'm going to lose control"

the rational would be something like,

"This is just anxiety, it will only last for a short period. It does not rob me of my ability to control my bodily functions or actions. Despite the feelings i have gone through it many times and have come out alive, the same thing will happen again this time."

Mike

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks to cindylou, that was powerful. I ham going through this terrible agoraphobia now too. i cant leave my house even to go a little down the road. It really gets me down. I have been very negectful also with doing the program too (like I dont have time) however now i have all the time in the world because i am not working. When I started it before it seemed to rally help and I slacked off with out finishing it. I have got to get myself together and just do it because without it I cant on my own. I can not see the light of day right now. I was thinking earlier how boared i am and how i am just going to have to get use to it because i wont ever get better. but there goes the negative thoughts! I want to see the light of day again but right now! I have to learn to be patient and take the time i do need to get back into the positives. Can you tell some about your agoraphobia? Thanks Jen :roll:

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”