Negativity about returning to work

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
bna

Post by bna » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:50 am

Well I made the decision to return to work in the New year. I have been home raising my children for the last 9 years. I am a RN. Looking back in hindsight, I probably should have stayed workig part time but I was lucky enough to be able to stay home. I never thought I'd be home this length of time. I think my anxiety and panic attacks contributed to the length of time home, especially this last 2years.

I was initially excited about returning to work. My husband thinks it will help with my anxiety to focus on something other than myself.

Well this evening I had a panic attack about when I was working. I worked in outpatient day sugery unit. I really enjoyed working there. When I reflect back on that time I have to smile. I was a really good nurse. I was confident in my abilities and my nursing skills. It was a time when i felt I could conquer the world. I was excited to be working and it seemed to be a time when my anxiety seemed minimial.

Well I rememebered working with a nurse who was having an incrediably difficult evening and she was very emtional, crying alot. She spent considerable time on the phone.

The last patient came back from surgery and recovery. I took care of her pretty much on my own and she met all the criteria and I discharged her home. She did well.

Now her I am 15 years later worried/obessessing over the scary thought what if i made a mistake and sent her home to soon. What if my assessment skills were not as good as I thought.
I feel like my head is spinning with self doubt.

I immediately changed my breathing used my skills to calm myself. I know its just anxiety.

So I thought I'd come on her to ask some insight on managing my anxiety regarding returning to work. If anyone has any thoughts or sugeestions I would appreciate it.

Take care and God Bless. Here's to a new year of peace and possibilities.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:57 pm

I am suppose to return to work also this year-next month and the thought of returning makes me nervous and full of anxiety. I have not worked in 6 months and I know that I need to return, but I am really experiencing the panic attacks all over again, and I don't like feeling this way. My head hurts, I am starting to wonder if I have a medical condition again etc. When I don't feel so well, I immediately think there is something medically wrong with me-only to find out that there isn't! I refuse to go back to the doctor again for them to only assure me that all of my tests are completely normal. I feel like an idiot!

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”