This lesson made me feel anxious

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
PeterT

Post by PeterT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:49 am

When listening to the group session part of this lesson I found myself getting anxious. I guess it was from listening to all the people talking about how they used to feel anxious. And then Lucinda's high energy style of speaking about anxiety increased my feelings of anxiety.

So right now I don't feel like listening to this lesson again. I suppose this is a good opportunity to practice the six steps. But I find that when I'm in a situation that makes me feel anxious i feel completely gripped by it. So I don't think I will even remember to do the six steps until the anxiety has significantly decreased.

BePositive-Amy

Post by BePositive-Amy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:23 am

It is normal for you to feel anxious when you start this program its because your facing your own anxiety. The more you keep listen or do the program it will decrease through the program. Its a new concept for you to deal with anxiety thats your anxiety try to keep on going.

Missletoes

Post by Missletoes » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:43 am

I felt terribly anxious too! But, if you try some of the steps, you will find that they do work. Look at your anxiety and accept it for what it is. You know why you are anxious. I am on week three and last week was rough, but I found that when I turned and looked at my anxiety, it wasn't so bad. The breathing really helped too. I know how uncomfortable it feels, but if you say to yourself, "This is just anxiety. It can not hurt me. I know why I am having it. It will go away." Say that over and over. I promise, it does help!

Lilly_Light

Post by Lilly_Light » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:24 am

Hi Peter--

I felt the same way when I started listening to Lucinda's tapes. I thought that she was talking far too quickly, and it made me question whether I would benefit from the program. After listening to the first tape a few times, I started to get used to her voice and, now, I really enjoy listening to her. I'm on the Assertiveness session, and I listen to the tape in my car, at home, wherever. Her voice has become almost soothing to me.

PeterT

Post by PeterT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:35 am

Thank you all for the comments. :)

It is weird to start an anxiety program and feel more anxious. But it is good to know I'm not the only one.

ROCKROCK

Post by ROCKROCK » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:09 am

I've found that I feel more anxious when I listen to the Relaxation tape. I can't believe that I have a hard time relaxing. I get anxious thinking about lying and listening to the tape, I feel like I should be doing something all the time and then just fall asleep. I haven't gotten to where I can listen to it more than once a day. Has anyone else found it difficult to unwind and relax?

PeterT

Post by PeterT » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:27 am

Has anyone else found it difficult to unwind and relax?

I imagine that is probably an issue for everyone doing this program. It certainly is for me.

cinderellamom17

Post by cinderellamom17 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:21 am

I cant relax either...I cant even make it through a movie. Dinner is hard enough.
I am way too high strung. I need to LEARN how to relax. Any ideas??

Pixie7

Post by Pixie7 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:52 am

cinderellamom-

i am the same way, i was eating dinner with my family last nighta nd was so restless, i couldn't just sit and eat a wonderful dinner!! i have been like that alot lately, but i have found that telling myself "my mind is at peace" for some reason it makes me relax. the words "calm, relaxed" all those words they tell us to use helps me. it is sure hard though!! i need something to do all the time, i can't just sit!!!

Vicky W

Post by Vicky W » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:30 am

I know you guys may not want to do this, but maybe substitute the cross-stitch with building model cars or something. I've started doing cross-stitch because I too cannot just sit and listen to the tapes. I start by listening to the relaxation tape to get calmed down a little, then I get my cross-stitch and work on that while I'm listening. I've been able to listen to the session at least 3 times per week and it gives me time to myself which really helps me.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”