First time through the program and am struggling

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Anxiety2

First time through the program and am struggling

Post by Anxiety2 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:44 pm

Hi all, I am glad to find this support system because I think I'm going to need it. I am 1/2 way through lesson 2 and have seen some imporvements but i have a long way to go. I suffer from depression to the point I only sleep 4 to 4 1/2 hrs. a night, and that's with a sleeping pill that is supposed to keep you asleep for 6 or 7 hours! When I wake I just cannot get back to sleep, even if i take an anxiety pill (they have me on Klonepin, which I am trying to ween myself from, any clues would be appreciated). I only get drowsy and can rest better but no sleep. Therefore I am tired most of the time. I am doing daily excercise since the last of lesson 1 and I think this is helping with anxiety and worry but not so much with sleep. My anxiety is worse in the morning (as I see many people have this problem too, according to these posts). I am having a hard time doing the work and seeing benefits. I have tried several programs to no avail, but am committed to this one as it "feels" different. Anyone have any motivational clues or clues to getting off Klonepin? I am 56 yrs. old and am a retired engineer. It was the retirement that brought on the anxiety and depression. Some say I have nothing to do, but the way I feel I am not sure I could do someone a good job even if i tried. I have tried volunteering at the air and space museum since I am a science and space and science fiction nut, but even that causes agoraphobic feelings since I do not want to get there and have to run to the bathroom constantly (the anxiety has caused irratable bowl and I have diarrea often). I am hoping this program will help me with my confidence (which until I retired was at about 150%). This is such a drastic change I am scared silly. Any clues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

garyhermesch52

Re: First time through the program and am struggling

Post by garyhermesch52 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I have a BS in mechanical engineering so possibly some of my experiences in life you might you find interesting if nothing else.
I had a very hard time with concentration and studying and making through engineering in college, even though for some
reason I thought and still more or less do that I have the mental capacity for it. My mother was quite domineering.
At the I am working as a boilermaker and mostly running automatic welding machines that perform maintenance on
mechanical equipment in refineries, power plants, paper mills, etc. This is done during plant shutdowns and I end up
only working about 6 mos. out of the year. Anyway when I was in college I was pretty gung-ho about anything that had
to do with technology and being on the cutting edge. I wanted to be a smart, successful engineer. As I've gotten older
(I'm 52), it seems like I've gotten much more philosophical and religous, for lack of a better word. My experiences have
made me much more interested in seeking truth and overall purpose in life and trying to help other people. Some people
might disagree with that, but thats what I like to think. I only work now because I have to to support myself, and don't
do such a great job of that. Anyway that would be my suggestion for what its worth is to spend some time thinking
about what is life really all about and what is there after this life and stuff like that.

meganlloyd6

Post by meganlloyd6 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:51 am

I have quite the opposite problem, I sleep to much. But have you tried the Relaxation audio CD? It's so relaxing for me I don't even make it through last section. You might try that. I think volunteering is great, especially if you are retired. I am 28 y/o and work at a hospital with many retired volunteers who are more healthy than most people their age. I think volunteering in something you like, like you mentioned or something that helps others well-being. I personally could never do a job well that wasn't doing things for the good of people directly. I have been on an anti-depressant for 14 years and I am really hopeful that this program will help me get off them. Hope this helps, stick with the program.

shayds

Post by shayds » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:59 pm

It's been a month and a half since your last quote, are you still on the program ? How are you feeling today vs August 20th. I have been through this program once before, it works....no question. I am re taking the program now and am re-freshening my coping skills. If you need any help or advice, feel free to respond to this and I would be happy to lend advice or an ear. You are not alone, and the anxiety will pass...it always does !

Shay D.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”