Driving

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
landerson10

Driving

Post by landerson10 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Hi everyone, I have been struggling with anxiety as long as I can remember. Driving is one of the things anxiety has prevented me from doing, but I am going to try driving some this week. My previous attempt at driving lasted for two minutes, I drove about five feet before I felt like I was about to have a heart attack :( Every time I try to drive I think I am going to make a mistake and hurt or kill someone. I am 21 and I feel completely dependent on others, which is depressing, but I don't know how to not feel scared about driving. Has anyone had this same problem and if so please help me lol.

Jacmyster

Re: Driving

Post by Jacmyster » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:01 pm

I've had some anxiety about driving in the past, especially on busy roads. I feel extremely defensive and scared that someone is going to hit me while I'm driving. The thing that enabled me to drive on busy roads was essentially being forced to do it. I had someone else counting on me to do it, so I did it. It's still nerve-wracking at times, but I feel more capable than I did. Here are some suggestions that you might try to make you feel more comfortable.
I don't know if you're religious at all, but you could pray for comfort, safety, and protection while driving. For the first couple years that I drove, I almost always said a prayer when I got in the car that I could be safe and feel comfortable. That helped me a lot.
Also, I would practice driving up and down driveways, around an empty parking lot, or on a quiet road. That could help you feel more comfortable behind the wheel, yet you wouldn't be around other cars, so you wouldn't need to be afraid of threatening anyone's life.
You could listen to a favorite cd or something that helps to calm you down while you try to drive.
Bring a trusted friend or relative along with you. They could help to reassure you and take the wheel if something is seriously wrong. If you are able to branch out onto busier roads, they could help you know when it is safe to turn, etc. Or if you feel comforted by a pet, you could bring it along. My dog loves "road trips"!
Positive self talk. Remind yourself that this condition is temporary. You are capable of this! You are strong and you can do this! One of my favorite scriptures talks about how our weaknesses can become our greatest strengths. So believe that you can overcome this and it will become easier for you.
I hope some of these suggestions are helpful. Best of luck!

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”