Evening anxiety anyone? 5-7 p.m?

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
musigaljm

Post by musigaljm » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi Everyone! I'm from Florida, and am currently in week 2 of the program. Was wondering if anyone else can relate to this...I am a teacher, and actually START getting anxiety AFTER my workday is over! This seems kind of strange to me, and I wonder why I wouldn't have those feelings as pronounced in the morning BEFORE the day starts? I feel like I have the lump in my stomach (tight muscles) and it gets even worse as I get closer to bedtime. I think the relaxation CD is helping. I listen to it before I go to bed. However, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, and what you have done to alleviate the body symptoms and RELAX in the evening??? Hope to hear from someone about this...Thanks a lot! :-)

butterfly9

Post by butterfly9 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 am

Hi neighbor, I'm from GA. I to teach school and I am in about week 4. My anxiety attacks or "start up" of One comes after I'm home also. I get a lump in my throat and then the heart flutter and anxious feeling. It happens almost every night. I think it is because we have to stay so focused at school we are keeping it at bay. I go immediately to the breathing technique. That seems to help and then try to distract myself. I wonder how many there are of us teachers suffering from anxiety and depression? Keep in touch and hang in there. :)

Atlanta Mom

Post by Atlanta Mom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:58 am

I would love to know of a way to alleviate this. My anxiety is related to nighttime, because I have alot of responsibility with getting my infant son to bed (our routine is an hour long) and then I have to worry about getting me to sleep (I am not yet able to sleep unmedicated). So, all that to say that I right now am taking .25 of xanax around dinner time to stay calm for the evening, but eventually hope to be able to do it myself, without the meds. I think this is common for people. We are already worrying abotu the night and next day by the time evening comes, while during the day we are task-oriented and staying busy. Thanks for pointing this out. Awareness is key.

Sheils75

Post by Sheils75 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:14 am

I was also having issues with anxiety that starts in the early evening. Once it got to be around 7:30 or 8, I would start to calm down...figuring that I would be going to bed soon. I try to exercise during that time and it seems to help.... good luck!

musigaljm

Post by musigaljm » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:56 am

Thank you so much for your advice, Butterfly...I would love to keep in touch about this as we progress through the program. I will definitely keep practicing the breathing technique. It's interesting to me that so many teachers seem to feel this evening anxiety (as we think about the upcoming day's events...lesson plans, assemblies, performances--I'm actually a music teacher! :-) I like this quote from Emerson: "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." I have that posted to my computer right now. Sometimes it helps just to read it as I sit down! :-) Thanks again, and good luck!

musigaljm

Post by musigaljm » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:03 pm

Sheils and Atlanta Mom...I forgot to let you know that I tried the exercising in the evening--I did some running-- and it does help to distract! It's definitely true that we do worry about the night and the next day by the time evening comes and we are very task-oriented during the day--not thinking about what's to come. Probably living more in the "precious present" which is what we need to be doing all the time, right? Thank you for your response. Keep in touch! :-)

LunarIndigo

Post by LunarIndigo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:35 am

I have the same problem, my anxiety often starts while I'm still at work though, just as the day is ending. I don't have a stressful job, I'm a receptionist, so I'm not sure what causes my panic. I'll have to come up with more ways to distract myself.

kathykat

Post by kathykat » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:20 pm

I sometimes have anxiety about 5 to 7 pm and I think it is about fearing change and transistion, in my case. I'm done with the day's activities, and not yet settled into the evening. Going out for a walk, or something like that to distract me does help. It is all a mystery, and helps to hear I am not alone with this stuff. Thank you.

bambino

Post by bambino » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 am

Musigaljm,

A lot of great advice here. I can relate from the standpoint of anticipating what will happen tomorrow and how that can trigger the anxiety. Additionally, its possible you might have many minor moments of anxiety during your workday (I can't imagine how you couldn't!)and the small amounts of adrenaline that you are releasing over the course of the day can build up so when you are at home and you start to anticipate the next day's responsibilities and possibilities you feel a disproportionate reaction....one that is due to the release of adrenaline at that moment and the cumulative effects of the days stresses. The what-if thinking is such a tough thing for me stop...but what is aiding me in this is making a concerted effort to really be in the moment. You probably are tired after the end of a long workday, but even if its reading something or chatting on the phone or listening to music, maybe if you focus your thoughts on these things instead of what is to come tomorrow you can reduce that internal anxiety response. Hope this helps!

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”