Unsupportive Spouse

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Jannacle

Unsupportive Spouse

Post by Jannacle » Mon May 16, 2011 11:35 pm

My husband sort of rolls his eyes about my anxiety and it can be very hurtful. He thinks that it should be "easy" for me to figure this out. Has anyone else had this type of problem with a family member down playing the program and telling them to just hurry up and get over it?

Paisleegreen

Re: Unsupportive Spouse

Post by Paisleegreen » Sat May 21, 2011 12:45 am

You are not alone in this. My husband has been supportive, but they don't quite understand. Hang in there, you will just show him by not letting him bother you. I've been in counseling w/ DH and my Dr tells my husband (DH) that I suffer from G.A.D. and he explains it to him. So that has been helpful. Paislee

Team Mom

Post by Team Mom » Sun May 22, 2011 7:46 pm

My husband was VERY supportive in the beginning but now I think he's tired of it. Well, I hate to tell him so I'm I. I started the program several months ago and got to session 5 then I quit. I tried anti depressants and now I'm having anxiety often. I'm starting the program over again. Hang in there you have us to support you through this. :)

ariel2477

Post by ariel2477 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:53 am

the counselor i used to have said "Men were not taught to nurturer" and i think that sums up most men. My x husband never understood it was My fault and my problem. We must get and find support from withing ourselves and God. I think this program is helping me and i hope it helps you.

LMH2011

Post by LMH2011 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Tell your husband to be more supportive. I was that unsupportive spouse when my husband was going through anxiety and panic. I couldn't understand what he could possibly be worried about....we had a brand new house, 2 new cars, 2 beautiful daughters....everything was great! I actually yelled at him for being an idiot. After all of those hospital visits for him and medical testing, I started to worry that something was really wrong with him. After 2 years of this and a clean bill of health, I am now a victim of panic and anxiety. My husband is recovered, with panic attacks that are few and far between, but I am a mess. I almost feel like this is my punishment for being a jerk when my husband needed me. Maybe if I had been more supportive, I wouldn't be suffering now too!

werin585

Post by werin585 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:52 pm

I went through this also. At first my husband thought I was lieing and making up excuses because i didn't want to do things. Soo not true. What really helped me was to bring him with me to my therapist and have her explain to him what was going on. That it wasn't just in my head, that it is an actual medical condition. People don't talk about it a lot. I was embaressed initially to tell my husband what was going on in my seemingly crazy head. You have to communicate, you have to let him know that you do not want to have anxiety and that you are doing your best to get rid of it but that you need his support. It's hard to get better when the one who is supposed to be your support system just doesn't get it. Tell him you need his help to get better.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”