Hard time giving up caffeine

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
knitthis

Hard time giving up caffeine

Post by knitthis » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:16 pm

Is anyone else having a hard time giving up caffeine? On the whole, I don't drink too much, about 2-1/2 cups per day, and I'm slowly weaning myself off as suggested, but I didn't realize how much I depend on that morning cup of coffee. I crave it when I wake up in the morning, and then mid morning after it has worn off. I have quit caffeine in the past, but this time it seems harder. And chocolate too. That's a tough one as well. I understand why we should stop. It does give me a nervous energy that doesn't help anxiety. But I guess I'm just used to it now. Anyone else in the same boat?

clw14k@gmail.com

Re: Hard time giving up caffeine

Post by clw14k@gmail.com » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Absolutely!!! I have 2 Cokes a day and am having a hard time giving it up... I have made that soda a morning habit for so long! We can do it though, just take baby steps! I'm down to one a day... Trying! Good luck : )

tommy_riley

Post by tommy_riley » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:39 pm

I have never been a big coffee drinker - but I would usually have one in the morning. I would also have 1-2 regular caffinated sodas a day.

I decided one day in November of last year to give up all caffeine and now I might have a diet coke once a week or perhaps a half cup of regular coffee once a week. Other than that I do not do caffeine at all. One thing that helps me in the morning is to have a decaf coffee/latte/etc. it still tricks my body into thinking I got what I needed and I wake up, but don't get the nervous jitters that come along with the caffeine. I'm sure it will be harder for others who rely on caffeine more than I did...

caveman0721

Post by caveman0721 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:06 pm

I have the same thing for tea & sweets, but my original goal before starting the program was to stick to 2 smoothies/day made from hemp protein powder which I know will help me with all this.....hemp is high in essential fatty acids & amino acids & protein & will balance out cravings...I know based on using it...albeit irregularly in the past....you might give it a chance, as I need to on a regular basis too !!!! Good luck....also I know that regular exercise as the course suggests will help also....

ajskd068

Post by ajskd068 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:32 pm

I am with u! I am also having a hard time giving up coffee. But I have been alternating everyday from decaf to caffeinated. If it's caffeinated I'm trying to only drink half a cup. Most of us know how hard it is when you've been drinking coffee x amount of times a day for years. The way I see it, coffee is such a small sacrifice to a life-long change.

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:36 pm

When I was at my worse I not only cold turkey cut out caffeine, I also quit smoking, alcohol, and anything sweet, like chocolate! Now that I am better, I am back on the bad habit, except for the alcohol, thinking of quitting smoking again, too!

pauly j

marialuv19

Post by marialuv19 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:31 am

I know how you feel. That morning cup of coffee is hard to give up--it helps me go to the bathroom--I'm actually drinking one right now, but it is the only cup I will have all day. I quit smoking and I also don't eat sweets the way I used to because my nutritionist informed me about what SUGAR DOES TO OUR BODIES. When she told me that they were probably the cause of my panic attacks and depression I started to take her advice and get off the sugar. She gave me a vivid description of what happens in the body when you consume sugar---the sugar fights with vitamins and minerals to get in your cells and the SUGAR WINS depleting your body of essential minerals and leaving you depleted---which can cause many health problems including anxiety and depression.

What I would try if I was you is to mix your coffee with half decaf--so that the entire cup is not caffeinated. That could be a great start for you to decrease the amount of caffeine in your body---eventually you can quit all together if you want.
What I have noticed when quitting smoking or sugar is that the beginning is always tough--but after 2 weeks you don't crave it as much anymore. I personally think sugar is the worst thing for your body but MODERATION IS THE KEY.
GOD BLESS AND BE WELL :)

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”