Dealing with my anxiety coming back now that mom is hospitalized with bi-polar...

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
smurfet12977

Post by smurfet12977 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:41 pm

I am heart broken at where my mom is at right now. For two years she has been downward spiraling with depression (That is most likely Bipolar if the doctors could just agree). She was finally hospitalized this weekend due to her weight loss (-30lbs) and litterally laying in bed all day not moving. It is devastating to see her like this, she was an amazing mother and has only in the past 3 years been debilitated with this mental illness. There are signs when we look way back but we never thought it woudl come to this. My struggle for the past 10 years with anxiety seems to be rearing its ugly head any time things with her get serious. I just really want to keep my anxiety in check so I can be strong for her. I was horrified going to see her in the hospital. I am afraid for her, and I think a part of me is fearful that this may happen to me some day. I have done the program off and on for 2 years, but I struggle with fitting it in. I am the parent of an 8 year old and 4 year old with a full time job and now a full time crisis of being a daughter & sister in a family that has been devasted at my moms deterioration. The light at the end is she is finally being medicated with a bipolar medication, I just hope the "Abilify" is the answer and we can begin on the long road to recovery. We haven't even been able to see the road.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:47 am

Sorry to hear that your Mom isn't doing well. I can relate to how your Mom being hospitalized brings on the anxiety. My Mom had a surgery last fall and it didn't go well. She had complications and it brought on my anxiety again after doing well for a few years. But eventually I was able to cope with my Mom's health and the stress of it all and my anxiety calmed down again. I just kept telling myself that it was a growth spurt and I'm doing okay again. So, just remind yourself that its okay to have anxiety with all this stress, its normal. Don't let the anxiety get to you, it will pass.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:03 pm

I am 63 years old and I too am at a cross roads. My health is deterirating and anxiety has just made it worse. The only Thing that helps me hang on is the love I feel and support of my family and friends. because of my faith in God, I know I am not alone.

Susan

Return to “Parent to Parent”