Musical Regulations

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Plastic_Starlight

Musical Regulations

Post by Plastic_Starlight » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:19 pm

I've used music as sort of a mood indicator for years now. There was a time when I lived only for the next concert, because that was the only time I felt emotionally ok.
I find these days though that when i'm having a rough patch, or a down right episode I tend to turn towards certain bands and music. And we're not talking about bubblegum pop or top 40 hits. Mostly because it reflects my mood as opposed to uplift it. My roommate says I should be doing to opposite. If I'm in a bad mood I should put on some katy perry or Colby Callait type music thats catchy and fun and that'll pull me out of the funk. BUT.. ( aside from the fact that I don't usually enjoy superficial radio friendly music)
Example:
SO I had this thing on thrusday. It was sort of a mix between a panic attack and a fit of inexplicable rage. There really wasn't a reason for it. I simply got out of class, my friend walked me across campus as usualy and then we parted for his bus and my car which are in opposite directions. I don't know how it happened but by the time I got to my car I was stomping,and wanting to punch my hands through things, but I was also couldn't seem to get enough air into my lungs fast enough, I felt like I was suffocating. I got into the car plugged into my I-pod and started skipping through songs until I found a song that matched the energy I was feeling, and turned it up LOUD. keeping with that genre I drove home, by the time I got there I felt less like breaking stuff and more like.... well less like breaking stuff anyway. It helped.

Anyway both my roommate and my dad and a few friends comment on the music I use sometimes saying that it contributes to the negativity more so than improving it. I disagree however.

I don't know does anyone else use music theraputically? Do you find it better to use a certain kind of music when you're in " a mood"? or ones that retain good moods etc?
Just curious as to what other people's opinions are on the use of music, and what kinds of music people find helps. what relaxes you, calms you, helps you through?

Paisleegreen

Re: Musical Regulations

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:13 pm

I don't know all about that as I've seen some of my children actually do their homework to music I would never play. I also am disturbed to listen to Heavy Metal or stuff like that. It grates on my nerves, so I guess maybe it is the beat of the drum or something that helps to calm your nerves.

On another note, great orchestras and marching bands have a strong beat that is meant to stimulate and encourage a "fighting energy" just as "lullabies" are meant to soothe and lull one to sleep. Music has influence for good or bad, and some music affects people in different ways. Maybe the music you listened to became a distraction to what was bothering you and that is what calmed you down.

I guess I would be careful on what you listen to, depending on what the words being used in the music. I think most of us know that there are horrible words being "sung" or spoken in songs that can only degrade the human spirit, that is my caution here. Ever so slightly the evil one slips into our souls negativity by a tiny wedge ever so small, that we barely notice it before it is too late. Guard your soul from negative sources the best you can, as that is the test of life is to remain positive in dreary circumstances. Paislee

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”