Excessive Oversleeping

Comments and inquiries to share with others. (Questions for Staff can be posted below.)
jamies88

Excessive Oversleeping

Post by jamies88 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 pm

Hello! New member here. I've struggled with anxiety as long as I can remember (I recall a few panic episodes from when I was in preschool!) Not long after I started on anti-anxiety / antidepressant meds in middle school, I began to take naps every afternoon when I got home from school. I'm unsure if this had to do with the medication, my stress, or just the fact that adolescents need more sleep. During my high school years, I began having problems with sleeping the whole day through (on non school days). When I was a senior in high school, I had a sleep study done. No real problems were found -- just some "abnormal brain waves" (?) for which I was prescribed 100mg/day Lamictal in addition to my anti-anxiety meds. The neurologist told me I just needed to train myself to sleep at the right time.

At any rate, I am now a college graduate, 23 & recently married. I am currently unemployed (although I have a job lined up, and I'm so thankful!) and sleep most of my days away. My husband is in graduate school as well as working, and I know it frustrates him to come home and find I haven't done anything all day. He is incredibly understanding and forgiving (he's in school to be a counselor, actually), but I don't want this to be a problem in our marriage. He tries to wake me up in the mornings, many times to no avail. I know it's wearing on him.

Just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has problems with excessive oversleeping? I know that it's much more common to suffer from insomnia with anxiety -- but for me, sleep is an escape.

tina martin

Re: Excessive Oversleeping

Post by tina martin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 pm

Excessive sleep can be associated with depression. It may be yet another form of escapism. I also find great comfort in drifting off and getting away from all that is troubling.

Sleep is a function controlled in the brain so we want to try and help ourself along to recondition the sleep control. In the morning, for example, I sort of trick myself by thinking of the nice breakfast I can enjoy, what I'll wear, what pleasurable activities I might include in my day. You may want to consider how pleased your husband will be if he notices improvement. Then there is the attempt to determine possible roots of depression and how you might address those, perhaps with a therapist. With your will to improve, the program here, there is much hope for betterment.

jamies88

Post by jamies88 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:37 pm

Thank you so much Tina. I like the idea of "tricking myself" into getting up by having breakfast. Actually, some days I get up for about an hour to eat breakfast, but often go back to bed. Maybe I should start trying to "go out" more in the morning, so I don't have the option to get back in bed.

I do have mild to moderate depression that is mostly anxiety-related. As I'm sure you know, "what-if" thinking can cause not only panic, but also depression!

I've been in therapy quite a bit. We just moved to a new town, so I don't have a counselor here yet. While I do have insurance, unfortunately the co-pays add up quickly :( I'm currently weighing in on whether or not to seek out a counselor just yet. I went through a good portion of the program years ago, and am currently re-reading Lucinda's book Panic to Power, so I have the tools. It is so good to have someone to talk to every week or two, though...

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi Jamie,

This is Chris, I am a coach here at the StressCenter.com. I understand the cycle you are in. I did this most of my 20's. Mostly because I felt overwhelmed with life and I didn't understand that my anxious thoughts were also pushing adrenalin and I had gotten into some negative patterns.

I had to learn to get up and get going. I did not give myself the option to move from the bedroom to the sofa. I had to get up and get my day started. This was very hard. It took every ounce of strength I had. You have to have selftalk ready for the morning and read it even before you go to bed. I think your new job sounds very motivating and will also help.

I would love to talk with you if you would like to schedule a free coaching call. Just private message me and we can set something up.

Celebrating with you your continued courage to change.
We are here to help.
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

Return to “General Comments/Inquiries about”