dating out of religion Please help

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
denver broncos

Post by denver broncos » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:12 pm

Ok I have been with this girl that happens to be Mormon. everything is great we never fight and stuff like that but here lately i have been worrying and thinking a lot about are difference in beliefs. Im a christian boy and need some advice and help. big questions how do i a porch this and will the relationship last? thank you all

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:02 pm

Hi Denver:
There is a great difference in your religions.
You might want to study about the differences and then decide.
It depends on how important your beliefs are to you.
You might want to think about now, instead of later.
Only you can decide this.
Best Wishes.
MF

moldingrock

Post by moldingrock » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 am

Hi Denver,
I agree with Slender. Get the facts and make a choice. If you think you shouldn't get involved with someone who doesn't share your beliefs, then don't. Making this decision is better now before children get into the picture.
Have you ever talked about each other's religion? Would she ever consider becoming Christian? Do you share Jesus teachings with her? She may come around. You never know. If you think there is a possibility of her becoming Christian, then great!
All things are possible through love.
Good Luck!

spowers

Post by spowers » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:58 pm

Aren't Mormon's Christian?

foureyes

Post by foureyes » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:40 am

I am a Christian and my husband has become an active member of the mormon religion. They are
Christians but have their own quirky beliefs as
does any organized religion has. When I married
he was not active mormon, that is they key, you can be a mormon and be like everyone else, but as soon as they become involved in their church you will find a lot of pressure being put on you
to become one of them. It is a personal choice
and a lifestyle committment which I have not given into. Unless you are willing to change everything you believe in, end it now before you end up like me--depressed and anxious.

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 am

Hi Samatha and all others,

There are many branches to the body of Christ. I think that is what they are referring to. There may be are denominational differences. I am sure they all confess Christ as their savior and that makes the individual Christian. The physical church structure and administration as well doctrines are the differences. I hope this helps. if not, I'll just remove it and stay out of it.

BTW, I am glad you did not lose heart, and decided to use the forum. I had mentioned to you privately, and on the forum, if there is anything that you are having a hard time with, I want you to know that I will be here for you to help with any encouragement that I may be able to give you. I mean it.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:14 am

I think different people define being a Christian in different ways. A lot of people call themselves a Christian because they go to Church. I see a Christian as a follower and seeker of God and the Messiah He sent in the form of man, Jesus. So to some on the outside, Christians and Mormons may seem very much the same but if you
google
http://www.google.com/search?q...ial&client=firefox-a
the differences it you will find that the teaching, theology and idealism are extremely different. I'm not here to debate but just to state that they are very, very different and the Mormon church is not very accepting of non-Mormons so please tread carefully.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

growingup

Post by growingup » Thu May 07, 2009 9:36 am

good for you for recognizing an important concept for a potential spouse. look in your concordance for your bible and see what God says about being equally yolked. or ask your pastor about this too.
there is a great book called "so, what's the difference" by Ridenour. its a great summary of 20 worldviews, faiths and comparisons.
beliefs impact daily decisions, behaviors and marriage.

Bob-o Bingo

Post by Bob-o Bingo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:12 am

D Broncos,

I have seen a lot of mixed marriages, and most of them create extra challenges for the family. At the least impact, there are minor compromises that have to be made to keep everybody happy. Least impact problems come about when either one or both parts of the newly wedded couple are weak in their beliefs.

The worst impact marriages happen when either one of the marriage partners are strong in their beliefe, or especially when both partners are strong in their beliefs, and it can get really really bad when members of their families (parents) have very strong beliefs. Life tends to unravel into trying to keep many other people happy, and various stages of political correctness. It adds a lot of difficult challenges to any marriage or family.

I have seen entire families torn apart and split by one bad marriage in their families. It happened with my wife's family. Her one cousin married "out of the faith" and now all the Aunts & Uncles & Cousins & children can't get together to celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, or even birthdays like they used to! More than a dozen home family units (parents and children) used to gather together to celebrate the holidays; now they're being hurt by trying to celebrate with one family absent from them. It's awful.

The best scenario would be that both partners of a newlywed couple were of the same faith. Then they would not be "unequally yoked" as the Bible warns about in 2 Corinthians 6:14 -- "Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what communion hath light with darkness?"

I suggest your do your homework and Google "Mormon Beliefs" before you marry. After all, there are plenty of other fish in the sea--and if you don't catch a particular one, then you can catch another. It is better to wait just a little longer to catch thr right one the first time. As an old proverb says, "act in haste... repent at your leisure."

Did ya know, we're probably going to have a Mormon running for US President in 2012? They're very nice and good people--but also a little different from the rest of us. I spent a week living with a Mormon couple in Utah. They were wonderful people to share time with. But a few of their beliefs are a little too restrictive for me.

I guess some another options you can have would be: Join the Mormons... or get your girlfriend to leave the Mormons. Hmmm.....

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”