*loved* session 4 audio

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Gisette

Post by Gisette » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:06 pm

I love session 4! Started last night. The negative thoughts thing wasn't getting all of it, that I was beating myself up for, because they're not really something I can grab hold of as negative thoughts, these shoulds and expectations, are they? More like bizarre colored glasses. ;)

I hadn't gotten before that what I'm doing to myself, is saying (constantly) that I should be able to drive on a highway any distance without panic attacks. To the extent that if I manage to do a little better, it's still 65 mph and minimum 60 miles distance below merely acceptable performance. That's not a goal. That's self-flagellation. Like, I haven't really accomplished anything until I've managed to do something that's harder for me right now than climbing Mt. Everest. No wonder I don't even try. The game is rigged.

It's weird. All day I've been noticing that I'm kinda hunched and clenched, shoulders and upper arms tensed, for defense against criticism. I think... I'm always this way.

And there's no-one else here. ;) Well, no one else criticizing me, anyway...

Very liberating!

And I drove on the highway again today. And gave myself a reward for doing so. Focusing on the reward really did help during a couple bad minutes there.

(I originally posted this in the March peer support group session 4 forum... But I'm the only one there atm. Mind if I join you over here? :D )

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”