Having trouble working session 4

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
ItsOkayThisIsGood

Having trouble working session 4

Post by ItsOkayThisIsGood » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:48 pm

I was seeing improvement from Session 3 which I did for 2 weeks, but I feel like there's not much to really help me in this session 4. Maybe because I stopped writing out my negative thoughts to counteract them?

What specific things are you doing for the Expectations issue that are helping you this week? Because I just feel lost with it and I've slipped into a bad depression.

poetrob

Re: Having trouble working session 4

Post by poetrob » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:10 am

I am just thinking about my expectations of myself and others. It is not
easy to think about our expectations.

As with week three, I am writing them down so I can figure out whether
they are realistic or not. Since I have started this program, I have been
taking my time with it. Doing one thing a day with the program.
One day listen to the tapes, the next day, do the workbook, etc.

This is my advise to you:
Take your time with it. When you feel lost, come back to it later.
Pick out something you understand and dwell on it. When you
feel depressed, it may be time to call it a day and do other things.
Start fresh the next day.

Bill Sheldon

Post by Bill Sheldon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:48 pm

I agree. I also think that some sessions will speak to you more than others. While I have had almost continuous anxiety for years, it has rarely if ever reached the level of "panic attack". Therefore, I didn't find Session 2 to be overly helpful. On the other hand, 3 and 4 really speak to me. I can see myself coming back to these and other sessions that are particularly relevant to me. It's tempting to be a perfectionist and make each session sing, but that's the type of unrealistic expectation each of us is trying to get over.

CJS67

Post by CJS67 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 am

I just started session 4#. It descripeds me to a T. I think I'll go slow with this session. And maybe go over #3 again. Boy, do I got a long road ahead of me. I see my biggest problem is going to be letting go of expectations for my co-workers. I really have a problem with them getting to me. I work in a factory. It really drives me crazy most of the time. But when I have to work with someone who thinks everyone is out to get her and bump her off a job. To get the incentive. It really gets on my nerves, I get sucked into the situation. I've tried so hard to stay away from certian people and ignore them. But when I have someone working with me that's paranoid. Some how I get sucked in and it makes me mad.

Ldybeth

Post by Ldybeth » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:39 pm

I know that for me, the reason that this week's topic is a bit uncomfortable is because it is really asking me to start setting goals. This is something that I know has been a scary task for myself for most of my life and I'm sure many that are using ths program as well. I developed a tremendous fear of failure starting in my adolescence and it has stuck with me up until this program.

It's scary having to step out and put plans into action that I've thought about for what seems like forever but I hear Lucinda's words resonate in my mind over and over again that it is NORMAL to feel anxiety as I am using these new tools and doing these tasks. That means that I'm confronting fears- actually getting somewhere and the uncomfortableness is my "working through" these unproductive habits that I've become so comfortable with.

I found that after completing week 3 twice and starting this week, I felt a bit bewildered and I didn't journal as much or come to this forum for some reason... I know this reason and awful enemy - fear! This is lesson that I am learning that ties in to my perfectionism and trust issues. Up until this week I have come to this forum and read the postings almost daily. Most of the time, I find that someone has already addressed whatever questions or difficulty I am having, which means that I am NOT alone and that I am NOT strange or odd for feeling what I am feeling- what a comfort! The same is true with tonight. I was a little nervous wondering if I was ready to start week 5 tomorrow, but now that I've read this posting and others... I know that I am ready. :)

I wish everyone doing this week and beyond the courage strength and faith to start setting your own goals, however small or large they may be. Remember to take baby steps and to only take 1 day at a time! ~God bless you all. :)
One day at a time is the key for me!

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”