Asperger's and anxiety

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Rob Dunavant

Post by Rob Dunavant » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi all...i just wanted to talk about the fact that I have asperger's syndrome. this is actually a big component to the cause of much of my anxiety. a lot of my panic anxiety actually derives from the idea that my brain has been wired differently from most people's (and most of yours i would assume). sometimes, ppl judge people like me and think we are either retarded, rude, or just plain assholes...this is actually not at all true...i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to how i can stop worrying about others in public thinking im weird, awkward, retarded, mean, or selfish. take care yall...and best of luck to ur journey to relaxation as well

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:14 am

Hi,

They think I have Asperter's, and what strikes me as strange is that nobody seemed to notice until just a few years ago (I'm pushing 52). I have a regular job, which I've held for over 26 years, and I live on my own. I'm not sure I have anxiety the way this program seems to mean it; I've never been house-bound because of a fear of this or that. I do seem to be very awkward socially, and to have a knack for saying or doing the wrong thing. Mostly I just plod along.

I also have Neurofibromatosis Type-1. For over 23 years I've battled cronic exhaustion and a sleep disorder, and several years ago I became chemically sensitive. Just how those are connected to Asperger's, I'm not sure. I suspect that I have them on top of Asperger's.

Anyway, I have to get to work now. Good luck to you.

purpmartin

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:54 am

hi there all I dont have much advice accept that i have some mental dissorders as well im a hypo have been my whole life always scared that when im out ill have an episode and everyone will look at me! besides chronic anxiety dissorder ive also been diagnosed with post dramatic stress dissorder due to almost dyining and now i have this huge scare on me everyone can see and i always think ther whispering about it! My advice we cant all be hermits staying away from the public i try to just focus on what i need to get done go do it and not look at anyone, I use to do hair and was always socializing and then well couldnt do it anymore cause i was constintally judge but now i just want to be happy with me and not worry what anyone else thinks it only matters whatGod and you think. Hope i helped alittle and God bless.

Bill Sheldon

Re: Asperger's and anxiety

Post by Bill Sheldon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Rob,

It was interesting to read your post, as my 9 year old son has Asperger's. I really think it may be as simple as accepting that you have no control over how others will perceive you. While you have a challenge the rest of us don't, we all need to learn to care a whole lot less about how we're perceived.

With some people (i.e. those with whom you deal more than once), might it make sense to disclose your Asperger's, and even make some light of it? You could set their expectations to an extent, e.g. "Sorry if I come across a little abrupt; I'm just having an Asperger's day!"

Good luck, and keep posting!

Bill

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”