No expectations?

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
ajh0215

Post by ajh0215 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:59 pm

When I was in high school, I had a classmate who seemed to not really care about what anyone thought of her. She also seemed to float through life: She worked very, very hard and was a terrific student and athlete, but she didn't seem to worry about anything. She didn't seem to expect anything of anyone. I decided that I wanted to be like that, so I learned to have, really, no expectations of anyone or anything (except myself!). This way, I never get hurt, am never disappointed, and anything that turns out great is a massive bonus. I'm not sure it's best to have NO expectations, but it's working for me at the moment.

I expect a ton of myself, though, of course. Don't we all? I SHOULD to be married and a mother by now (I'm 27). I SHOULD be working full-time in my chosen career field. I SHOULD have my own house, or at least working towards that. I SHOULD to be a well-adjusted adult. As it is, I am neither married nor a mother, I'm still looking for a full-time job in my field, don't own a thing except college debt, and feel very mal-adjusted.

I wrote all these things down and realized, after listening to Lucinda's Session 4 that many of my expectations are not mine. I'm "shoulding" all over myself! I don't care to be married right now, I'm not financially prepared to own my own house, and I'm looking for a full-time job because I only graduated from college in December (second degree; gotta pat myself on the back for having now earned two degrees!) and the job market right now for elementary educators is very difficult to get into. I do desperately want to have children someday, and I know that I have options if I don't ever marry. I am also working full-time and am looking for something full-time for the next school year: I am financially responsible.

As far as being so-called mal-adjusted: I am working towards getting better. I am trying to do the best for myself. I have goals (to be a teacher and to have children someday) and I can reach them. I trust in God to lead me down the right path. I'm okay, and so are you all!

Lloyd

Post by Lloyd » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:33 pm

It sounds like you will be all right. I am glad you found this program.

Bob-o Bingo

Post by Bob-o Bingo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:15 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ajh0215:
I expect a ton of myself, though, of course. Don't we all? I SHOULD to be married and a mother by now (I'm 27). I SHOULD be working full-time in my chosen career field. I SHOULD have my own house, or at least working towards that. I SHOULD to be a well-adjusted adult. As it is, I am neither married nor a mother, I'm still looking for a full-time job in my field, don't own a thing except college debt, and feel very mal-adjusted.

I wrote all these things down and realized, after listening to Lucinda's Session 4 that many of my expectations are not mine. I'm "shoulding" all over myself!

AJH,

I read your post and thought the following:
Oh SHOULD! Don't give me all that SHOULD! I'm already so full of SHOULD that it's a wonder my eyes don't pop out. This SHOULDDY world is all turning into a big pile of SHOULD. Especially in political election years when everybody talks SHOULD about their opponants.

Your comment about SHOULDDING all over yourself was so funny that I laughed so hard I almost got some SHOULD in my shorts! Thanks for a funny (but really excellent) post. Any time you want to share your SHOULD on this subject, please SHOULD away because you have a whole lot of good SHOULD to share.

Adrien

Post by Adrien » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:31 pm

:D :p :D ajh0215 - I too absolutely love your e-mail full of "SHOULDS"! And yours also, Bob-o Bingo! Too funny!!!!
Adrien

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:47 am

Great Post! :D

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”