Still have symptoms...

"Combatting Stress & Depression" Program participant's may post support questions here
Marci78

Still have symptoms...

Post by Marci78 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:57 am

I just finished the program this week, and while I have grown a lot and am using the new skills I've learned, I am still experiencing the symptoms. (Shortness of breath, nausea, heart palpitations, etc.) When do you get to the point where you don't experience all that? I'm not afraid of my symptoms at all, but really thought that through my positive self talk/etc, it would be lessened quite a bit. And it's not. :(

deb123

Re: Still have symptoms...

Post by deb123 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:33 am

It's been a while, has the symtoms gone away?

I went through this program before and after some life changes need it again. I know that for me, it doesn't go away completely. New situations for me bring on a bit of anxiety, but it does for everyone. I started telling my self "it's not anxiety, it's excitment!". For example, I would say to myself, "A new job, wow! that is exciting, I get to learn new things and meet new people!" Using the skills learned, like the positive self talk, helped a lot. Relaxing has helped me a lot. But when I stopped using the skills, I wasn't doing as well. In fact, interviewing for jobs recently was anxiety prevoking and some I cancelled. :( That's when I knew I needed help (as well as the depression sessions I was having almost daily).

If I still had the book and cards (lost in a move) then I would go through them at least. So I bought the program again. I love the cards. This set I put in my purse to have with me all the time. I can read them when I need extra help and my thoughts aren't going in the right direction.

So now I'm working on this again and will continue to use some of the skills on a daily basis and others as needed (self talk is one I will use a lot because I need that all the time).

Marci78

Post by Marci78 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:01 am

I'm doing better, but feel like I'm moving back to the same old ways of life (mainly irritability/anger/impatience/etc). I need to do the program again...thanks for checking and reminding me! :)

deb123

Post by deb123 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Marci,
Understand about moving in the same old ways of life.
If you want, you might not need to start all over. Just choose a session you think you need and journal. Then if you can, go through the workbook, also. I did that for a while after I finished the course.

Return to “Participant Questions & Support”