How many males are here on this forum? Its hard trying to be a man with this crap.

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:55 pm

well, I must say that i am extremely proud to see all the men here speak up....I am a free lance photographer here in little rock,arkansas..and I have this panic crap, ,and it just snuck upon me after my state of depression after going through my first divorce. I have a problem of being by myself, and driving by myself, for the fear of having a panic attack....got any advice?

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:43 am

I just started the trial today. So far so good. I have been trying to treat, medicate, bully and even ignore my anxiety and depression for many years. I am a male and I learned many years ago that many men have these symptoms, we are just good at hiding them. Just like an exercise program, it is ok to get a personal trainer. We didn't get here by ourselves, most will need help to move on!

I am a bit older than most of you, I just wish i had sought treatment many years ago.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:47 am

Hey, I'm proud of you men who have stepped up to the plate, realized you were having difficulties, admitted it and came here to get help...now that's a real man as far as I am concerned...you will love yourself more and so will others.

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:11 am

im a male and i went through this program 4 years ago. ive pretty much been like this for most of my life, but 4 years ago after i was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, it really showed it signs. after my thyroid was controlled, i still kept having anxiety, so i went on zoloft and ordered this program. i had extremely great results with both the meds and program. right now im going through a growth spurt, and have been feeling anxiety for the past week. it was a work situation that set it off, which i over reacted to, so im listening to my tapes again, reading the workbook and doing my relaxation tape. i know this is only temporary and im starting to feel better each day.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:33 pm

Wow never thought about it that way. I have delt with this stuff pretty much all my life so I never thought about whether it made me feel less of a man it has affected my own self image though. On the other hand I know logically that that is silly there is no way that having these feelings and fears interfear with my "manlyness". Nor should you feel it makes you less of a man.

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Let's see.....my first anxiety attack was at the age of six, a HUGE one at age 11, a mild episode at 15, an agonizing year long bout at age 30, a seven month trip to hell at age 39 (following the breakup from my girlfriend), a three month visit with stress at 42....an now at the age of 43 the monster has once again returned!! Thank the Lord for this forum. It's very hard to talk to other men about this experience. Those that have never had it just have no point of reference. They can't imagine the hell we're in and how hopeless it seems at times. Neither my father (when alive) nor my brothers could offer any solace. My best friend has never been stressed. It just rolls off his back like water on a duck. He can only offer his ears and his prayers. I'll take them, I need all the help I can grab. I started the program last year....quit because I was feeling "good enough". I'm back to lesson one. I hope I can relax soon. This not being able to stay asleep is really taking its toll.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:15 pm

MeloTrauma, one male here and I just started. I don't quite know what to make of this yet, but I'm working towards a solution.

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:39 am

I am a male and am having all of the problems that the program discusses. I have been under control with meds for going on 10 years, but this past year it went way out of control. Many many visits to the ER, multiple doctors, paramedics, the works.

I saw the infomercial and thought what the hell, nothing is now working, my psychiatrist has told me not to engage in any work related activities for the past 3 months, and I was at a loss.

So far I am feeling better on day 5 of the program, but I do have a severe cold that has popped up in the last couple of days.

I used to be a big, tough, strong man. I won a body buiding competition in 2001, have been doing martial arts since the age of 4 (I am now 44), and am a lawyer.

Now I am at a point where I feel hopeless. At this point I just want to get to a level where I can work without the heart palpatations coming up, go to the gym and lift weights again without going into a panic attack, and basically just live a normal life.

I am praying that this program will work for me.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:47 am

I completely agree. I think there should be a men's forum on here. Dealing with these issues as a man is particularly difficult, and presents problems and concerns women might not understand or relate to.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:10 am

Does anyone have any problems as a man performing due to this anxiety or depression.I lost my wife 14months ago. I started dating and found when I am around my girl friend I cant always perform when my mind is willing my body wont respond . I even seem numb and get nervious and sweat ,simular to a panic attack.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”