hypocondriacs....READ THIS!

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
lampshade

Post by lampshade » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Dina,

I know exactly what you are feeling! Just anxiety. This used to totally freak me out, would make me crazy thinking about it.

These started happening to me later into my problems with anxiety, so I always would tell myself that it was just another anxiety symptom and eventually i would calm down, and of course they would quit happening.

Don't worry, it is only anxiety!

It always reminded me of the feeling you get in your chest after being scared or after a close call on the highway. Does this sound right to you?

Take care.

sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Cranberry...I haven't had such a good laugh in a while, reading and re-reading your two posts! Can you quit your day job and just keep us laughing all day long? :-)
formerly SleeplessMom

Michelle4444

Post by Michelle4444 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:52 pm

Okay tonight on tv, a special and new treatment and cures for cancer and how to prevent...Did I watch??? Heck no! I would have left the program thinking I have every single one of those cancers LOL!! I for one feel like the whole world has cancer, and I wonder if it's the press it gets? Like if we didn't have tv, I would be happier. Thank God, I have HGTV, MTV, Food Network!

Sophia Louise

Post by Sophia Louise » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:45 am

Yes, Web MD is the devil....hehehe.. I have been a hypo since 1993. It is terrible. I still havent died, became paralyze or institutionalized. I cant believe when I look back that I have wasted so much time worrying.

Michelle4444

Post by Michelle4444 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:30 pm

I too am a Cranberry fan. Today I left work, and sat in the car letting negative thoughts creap into my head, what if...I have cancer(my big fear number 1) Then i came home and immedately got on here and felt better. Thanks, how long have you been in the program.

muffin2sweet

Post by muffin2sweet » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:12 pm

:D Hello everyone,
My name is Brandi. I am a hypochondriac, bad! I hate it. Most nights when I'm up like this, I am looking at websites to see what is wrong with me.
I get every body symptom imaginable, except sweating for whatever reason. I have heart palpiations, heart skips beats occasionally, hot flashes, hyperventilation, throat closing up, headaches, dizziness, sometimes my ears feel like they are filling with fluid, then emptying which makes my head spin, I also have alot of neck and upper back tension. I hate feeling like this.
I have been to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack about 7 times in the last 21 months.
I am trying to get better, not looking at medical websites as much. Also, I have been much better able to say "Only feelings, this is going to pass".
Any advice would be lovely.

Thanks everyone,
Brandi

jumpyone

Post by jumpyone » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:25 am

HI Brandi. This is probably the worst form of anxiety and I too suffer from it. I'm not sure if it is really called hypochondria though. I think what we suffer from is more like a health anxiety. My Mom is a hypochondriac and I think the difference is that hypochondriacs actually want to have certain illnesses as they lack something in their life and then they seem to get it through having these illnesses. My Mom was the youngest of 10 kids and I really feel that the only real attention she got was when she was sick. This has taught her that if she is sick, she can get what she needs. I think because of seeing her like this my whole life and having something wrong with her always, it has actually made me fear being sick. That's why I refer to mine as health anxiety. I am sure there are many reasons for why we are like this but I really think if we can get to the underlying thought, then we can re program our brains to think otherwise. Not so easy to do though!! I have had everything from a brain tumor to MS. I can actually make a pain appear just by thinking about it. This shows me how powerful my mind is. I am trying to learn through the program how to change my thought process. The first thing I did was I went and had a full physical. Blood work, mammogram etc. Then I did everything that I could control. I tried to eat good, exercise and take care of myself. Obviously genetics are not easy to control but they are actually the smallest triggers of illness. The outside effects are much worse to our bodies than our genetics i.e.smoking, drinking, overeating. My family is genetically big and I battle it every day. What helps me though is knowing that mind control is a big part of health anxiety and this area is one that we are in control of to a certain degree. If we can teach our thought process to work for us instead of against us, like the program says, then we are well on our way to a healthier mind. There is an actual health anxiety forum on the internet and I don't know the website. You might want to google it as I know it has helped me in the past. I think just knowing that totally normal people suffer from this and we are not alone, helps immensely. I hope this helps and please know that I am here to help in any way I can. Thinking that you have some deadly disease every day of your life is no way to live and you are on the right track to getting better just by talking. Take care

Maurlee

Post by Maurlee » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:53 am

I think when you go to the various websites
you are actually supporting you thought patterns...IF you have those issues perhaps
more of a positive website. I would stay away
from neg. feedback and fears that "feed" that
phobia..

Also, personally, I try and eat healthy, mild exercise and be around positive influences.

Some health issues are truly a problem..I have
a thyroid problem and before diagnosed I was truly ill. So I agree a good health physical
and a lifestyle change will help.

I believe these issues are real for "all" people
but maybe your issues are controlling you.

Carolyn Dickman

Post by Carolyn Dickman » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:39 am

What a fabulous thread!!! Keep it going! You guys are great...Carolyn

Michelle4444

Post by Michelle4444 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:19 pm

Wow Carolyn's reading our thread (I feel honored) :)

Anyway on a serious note, this discussion is really helping me, thanks guys, I seem to learn so much from everyone and it IS SO NICE NOT TO FEEL ALONE ANYMORE, not to mention I've stopped driving my mom nuts!

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”