Anyone out there?

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Kasher18

Anyone out there?

Post by Kasher18 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:09 pm

Hi everyone!

Most of the posts on here seem really old so I'm mainly wondering if there is anyone else out there who is currently going through the program and using these forums?

I am just starting the program and am looking for some peer/coach support. I've suffered with what I would consider to be an anxiety disorder for about the past 7 years (although I've never been officially diagnosed). I tried to start the program about a year ago but found it was so time consuming to follow the recommended schedule (audio sessions 4x per week, relation tapes every day, workbook, etc.) with two small children and a full time job. I feel like things have recently gotten worse and that my comfortable world is getting smaller and smaller and basically I'm sick of living like this! I've decided to commit fully to doing this program and MAKE time to do it right.

~ Kasher

thomas54

Re: Anyone out there?

Post by thomas54 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 am

Hi Kasher:

I was wondering the same thing with the older posts. I started the program back in 2008 and went thought half heartedly and now feel I need to start it up again. I am on lesson 5 now.

I too felt I am sick of living like this and something needs to be done and I am fully committed to the program. I am still working on the negative thinking as it is tough for me.

good luck and we should be a better person soon!!

Kasher18

Post by Kasher18 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for responding!

Do you feel like you've noticed any positive changes after doing the program for 5 weeks? I'm only 4 days in and I already feel like I'm impatient that I haven't had more of a result (I know this is completely ridiculous but I'm just so ready for change that it seems like it's taking forever, lol). How soon in the program did you feel like you started noticing a change?

Best wishes,
Kasher

steven033

Post by steven033 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Hi Kasher and Thomas,

I'm just getting started on this journey as well. I'd be glad to offer support to you. I'm planning to check in at the end of each week (and maybe more often). I think what I'll do is give an update of what was accomplished that week. I'd be glad to encourage and support you in this process as well if you want to give your weekly update as well. I'll give my "progress report" in Session 2 at the end of next week and in Session 1 tonight.

All the best to both of you!
Steven

thomas54

Post by thomas54 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:09 pm

Hey guys,

Glad to see there are posts/responses. I feel like I have felt some positive changes; not as quickly as I would like. For a short while, I thought I was a little more anxious after re-starting the program, but possibly this was from looking inside myself on when/how my anxiety started. For me, I am a negative thinker. I did not think I was, but after writing these down, I have/had a lot. I'm going to keep plugging away and I have been trying to do the relaxation CD twice a day. Things are looking up!

steven033

Post by steven033 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:37 pm

Hey Thomas, Good job on doing the relaxation CD so often! I started a little thought journal as well and see how often my thoughts can be negative as well and how this contributes to my anxiety. I'm looking forward to week 3 with the positive self-talk section. I hope that that will be helpful. It's good to be able to check in with you guys. Keep up the good work! I'm going to try and post something here in session one and then later this week in the Session 2 section.

How are you doing Kasher?

Have a great week!

Steven

Kasher18

Post by Kasher18 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:58 am

Hi guys!

I've been on vacation this week and have been committed to still listening to the tapes and doing the workbook as well as writing some reflections. I've had some episodes of major anticipatory anxiety (for instance while going on a 2 hour boat cruise) but I used the 6 steps from session two and after about the first 30 minutes I was actually having some fun. I do wish that I was progressing faster but I feel like the program is helping and I know this is a slow process. I'm really glad to have some support here and will be checking back (probably daily) once I'm back home :) I will be starting session 3 on Monday.

Kasher

steven033

Post by steven033 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi Kasher!

That's excellent that you were able to work through the feelings related to the boat cruise. I had a similar situation with an important meeting I was leading this week. I had about 2+ hours of anticipatory anxiety. I did some prayer and meditation, talked w/ friend about it (and asked for prayers as well) and the meeting went really well. (I forgot all about the 6-Step process! Which I should have remembered because I'm in Week 2 :P) Glad to be walking this path with you guys. Hope you had a good vacation!

Steven

Kasher18

Post by Kasher18 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:42 am

That's great Steven! I hope you gave yourself lots of positive reinforcement for successfully leading that meeting!

Here is my week 1 reflection:

The two big takeaways for me this week were that I am not alone in this and that anxiety is a control issue that is perpetuated by fear. It was comforting to listen to the group part of the tape and connect with people here because it made me feel like I'm not alone. Over the past 7 years while I've suffered with this disorder I have felt alone much of the time (much of that is my fault for choosing to internalize my feelings instead of reaching out) but it is nice to know that others are dealing with this too and that I'm not "abnormal"

I also came to the realization that my life is controlled by fear (fear of passing out, fear of having an allergic reaction, fear of panic attacks, and the list goes on and on and on). All of this relates back to a lack of control. I've realized that if something bad happens to me I have no control over it but what I do have control over is how I react to things. I guess I've always subconsciously kind of felt that if I think about the worst case scenario that if it actually happens I will somehow be more prepared for it. I know that this is NOT the case and I have just been ruining the precious present. Why should I feel stressed and anxious when there is nothing wrong!?

steven033

Post by steven033 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi Kasher,

I apologize for my very delayed response. I've been challenged to keep up with the program. I appreciated your transparency in sharing about your fears and your thoughts on being alone. It sounds like you are taking good action in this program and are having some key awarenesses regarding what has held you back in the past. How is your progress in the program? I'm still on session 4, but am hoping to make some good headway next week. I'll try and do better on being faithful to post here. I appreciate your support on this journey.

Thanks,
Steven

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”