Just starting out

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
LyssaMA22

Just starting out

Post by LyssaMA22 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:37 pm

Hey everyone! :)

My mom bought the program for me about 2 years ago, but I just didn't think it was necessary. I then experienced a violent relationship and a lot more, moved back home, and anxiety/depression hit me with full force. I feel like it literally happened overnight! I've always had it, but not bad at all. Now it is a full blown disorder and it's SO discouraging, as I'm sure you all know. It makes life seem at a horrible stand still.

Anyway, I am so nervous. I've only done Session 1 and the relaxation CD, but I feel a sense of encouragement, and like this program is my last hope. I want to be rid of it, but is that possible? I've seen some people say they have been through this journey more than once...that kind of scares me. I want to do it once and say I overcame it...not have to do it again and again. I'm also nervous this won't even work for me :( ..I feel like I just have it so bad, but I havent gotten to speak to anyone who can relate to me.I'm a "what if" kind of person...I live by it. I just want to know everything is going to be okay. I think it's awesome we also have this support group/forums to speak how we feel and get feedback.

I hope that this really does work, and that these conversations are beneficial! I need a ray of light!

randy c.

Re: Just starting out

Post by randy c. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:03 am

Lyssa, welcome to the program. Dont be discouraged, people are different. Some people get it the first time, others it takes a little longer (just like school) but everyone benefits from using this program. I got the program back in 08 and my mistake was not completing the program when I started. After lesson 4 I felt so good (I had alot of symptoms) that I stopped. So follow thru even if you feel better. A helpful tip is sneak a peak at your action assignments (only your action assignments) early in the week,for me it helped because I didnt have enough time before the next lesson. I was a what if thinker too, and this program took care of that.This program helped me 200%. Alot of us come back and use this sight to connect with peers and use the forums because we create a bond or a sense of family. Im glad your here,take advantage of the forums their a wealth of info and the mini chat is awesome thats where you connect with like-minded people. I hope to chat with you soon. Good luck and dont worry, ITS JUST ANXIETY!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:26 am

Hi Lyssa,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. Welcome to the peer forums, we're so glad to have you here!

It sounds like you have been through quite a lot and your adrenalin levels are elevated from the recent stress. Doing your relaxation cd is key, so keep that up :) Lesson 2 will be especially helpful in understanding the adrenalin and not fearing it or fighting it.

I would love to setup a free coaching call with you and we can customize the program for you and get you feeling better faster.

We also have an accelerated recovery Webinar you can attend on Tuesday evenings at 9pm.
I will send you a private message and we can get connected!

Here to help,
Coach Chris
888-480-6785

LyssaMA22

Post by LyssaMA22 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:01 pm

Thank you both!
Your responses really helped me and inspired me to not give up...because I've only done session 1 and I want to quit (out of fear).I hope I can fit into the group that you referred to as peer groups, and some even family-like. That's awesome! When you have people who can relate to you to rely on...you don't feel so alone!
Thanks guys...means more than you know.

LizzieM

Post by LizzieM » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:28 pm

Hi there!

First of all, congratulations to you for being brave enough to even try - seriously. Taking the first step really is often the hardest. It's produces A LOT of anxiety, so everything you're feeling about it is totally normal. And I can definitely relate to that, because the first time I went through the program, I felt like you do - I wanted to get through it and be over my anxiety and move on with my life. I didn't want to fail, and I didn't want to feel stuck anymore. The idea of it not being "the answer" terrified me.

It terrified me so much that I didn't end up finishing the program; I overwhelmed myself and procrastinated. Then more time went by, (and another attempt) and here I am doing it again for the third time. The thing is though, I have no doubts that I'll finish it this time - because it was "failing" those two other times that taught me a lot about myself. Change is a gradual process, and without even realizing it, I was getting a little stronger and a little wiser, and now I've conquered quite a few things and feel great about finishing. My self esteem is stronger, and I don't "what if" myself to death the way I used to. So don't be afraid when you hear that sometimes it takes people more than once to feel recovered, that's not necessarily a bad thing. This is a whole new life you're creating for yourself - it takes a lot of work, and a lot of practice, but it's 1000% worth every minute of it.

Just stay in the moment as much as you can. Try not to even think about tomorrow. (As hard as that is, I know.) Make out a little schedule for yourself to follow and only focus on doing whatever it is you're supposed to do for the program that day, and before you know it, those days are going to add up and you're going to see some really great changes in your life. Whether it takes you one go through, or two, or four - it doesn't matter. What matters is getting better, and you will.

Good luck to you! :)

DonnaMarieMary

Post by DonnaMarieMary » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:53 pm

Thank you so much for the welcome. I have a lot of anxiety about this forum. I just started the program yesterday and am confused about what to do when. Perhaps you could give me some tips about how to start. I have listened to the first 3 sessions and did the workbook on the 1st session (not quite finished with it yet though). Thank you for your help. Donna M

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”