First week of program and in need of guidance

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
yalmont

First week of program and in need of guidance

Post by yalmont » Sat May 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Hello everyone! I received and started the program Thursday & at first I was super excited but now not as much. I have been listening to the relaxation tape, but I feel it's not as effective as others I've tried. For example, during progressive muscle relaxation Lucinda stops at the jaw basically and does not address head tension which is one of my main problems. Other relaxation tapes I've tried instruct me to frown and relax for example which relieve some of the tension. I was seriously falling asleep while listening to the first tape. I expected to hear Lucinda discussing anxiety and depression not her patients. Furthermore, I am not liking the weekly schedule. I don't see why she wants us to listen to the tape 3 times. I wish there was a weekly schedule for each session since there are a lot of other changes and exercises she would like for us to do. I feel like I am not being instructed on when to do the put it in practice section. I expected a lot more guidance :(. Perhaps someone who has gone further in the program can give me some tips. That would be very helpful!

randy c.

Re: First week of program and in need of guidance

Post by randy c. » Tue May 27, 2014 7:52 am

yalmont, first of all welcome to the program. the first session is probably describing what you already know,but she gets more in depth the further you go in the program.the reason you listen to the cds three times is to make sure you keep it fresh in your mind. at least thats the way i understood it. heres a tip that i found helpful, look at your action assignment after you listen to cd the first time because if you wait until you do your homework you may be pressed for time.i hope you find the program as helpful as i have. the forums are a great resource of info,they show you your not alone. stop by the chatroom and say hello sometimes it helps to chat with people who are going through similar experiences. ;)

mtassinari

Post by mtassinari » Tue May 27, 2014 8:01 pm

Hi Yalmont,

I know what you mean with the head tension, that is where I often hold a lot of my stress. I sometimes will add a couple face and head tensions/relaxations that I had heard in another relaxation tape if I am feeling a lot of tension there. You could also use your own tape as a supplement, I feel like the important thing is to take the time to quiet your mind and body, whichever tape you use.

I remember one of the coaches mentioning to me that is okay to move through the program at your own pace if you believe this would help you, I know have taken more than a week with some sessions. Also, I know StressCenter offers coaching which could provide you with more guidance.

yalmont

Post by yalmont » Thu May 29, 2014 10:27 am

Thank you randy c and mtassinari for taking the time to respond.

randy c you are definitely right about why she wants us to listen to the CD 3 times. After reading your response I listened to it again and it was as if I was listening to something new & thank you for the tip on the action assignments. Sounds like a good idea & I will definitely give it a try! I can already see the forum is great and will hopefully continue the program, stick around and help others as I get more experienced. Have a great day!

mtassinari thanks for the tip .. I think continuing to use my old relaxation tapes is better for now. You're right after all the objective is to relax! Also, there's a part of me that wants to go at my own pace & another that wants to stick to the weekly schedule .. I guess I'm afraid if I don't follow the schedule I may not complete the program. I will definitely take advantage of the free coaching! Thanks again.

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”