Starting Over

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
HulaGirl

Starting Over

Post by HulaGirl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:56 pm

I first used this program over ten years ago, coupled with a handful of therapy sessions, and well, got my mojo back. It also helped immensely that I left a very high-stress job where the environment was absolutely toxic. I've had a few times over the years where I feel a little down, stressed out, but I had been able to right my sails and carry on. Over the last 6-12 months of my life stress at work ramped up, as well as caring for my aging parents, and community endeavors . . . And the last few months have been a major struggle. The anxiety to perform to perfection and juggle all the plates is becoming overwhelming. I see how I'm withdrawing from social situations and my fight-or-flight survival skills are kicking in again. The knot in my stomach never leaves, the appetite is gone, and the urge to never get out of bed is strong.

I'm starting the program over again. I'm wondering if others have had similar rebound experiences, and what helped you get past what seems like reoccurring stumbling blocks

Lucinda talks about being 'a fixer' and I totally relate to that. Whether it's at work, family or community, I fall into that role on a regular basis. Have have you pulled yourself out of that position? How do you self-talk to keep from falling back into that trap?

Thanks in advance for anyone who may have words of wisdom.

randy c.

Re: Starting Over

Post by randy c. » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:09 pm

Hula, how are you doing? have you been able to recover? its been a while since your post,but im going back through the program too. i think we go to long and get overwhelmed before we realize. we need to take some time for ourselves to relax and use thee program to get back on track. i hope you are well :)

Sara G.

Post by Sara G. » Fri May 30, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm starting over as well! The panic attacks have returned, but I know I can get rid of it again using this program. It's a good feeling knowing that I have this program, to attack this condition.

randy c.

Post by randy c. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:00 am

Amen sister,thank God for StressCenter

deb123

Post by deb123 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 am

I started over 6-7 weeks ago because I stopped using the skills I learned the first time. It doesn't seem as easy, but I'm at a different point in my life so maybe that's why. However, I'm not stopping and I'm going to continue on. I'm on Session 6 and working through that.

gnugget1

Post by gnugget1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 pm

I went through the program 8 years ago, and have just started it over again. I have also gone through some huge life changes in the last year, divorce after 15 years and death of a parent. I had such bad panic attacks that came rushing back, that I couldn't even attend the funeral, which made me feel very ashamed, but I just couldn't deal with it. I had such bad physical symptoms, that I was afraid to leave the house to go. I had a few pretty bad months, then things seemed to level out a bit, then I had a panic attack driving, which never happened before (even 8 years ago). That was very scary. So, here I am. Starting back with the program. After finishing the program the first time, I went from severely agoraphobic with horrible nausea and physical symptoms (lost 30lbs in 2 months), to basically anxiety-free for the next 7+ years. I know the program works, so I'm starting from the beginning. I think it's so easy to get caught up back in the old ways of thinking and the horrible self-talk. Plus, as we get older, we tend to suffer from physical ailments, which we may start obsessing about. This happened in my case, then I start to obsess about the way I feel. Round and round I go. lol
Good luck to everyone :)

Kathy1365

Post by Kathy1365 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:31 pm

I can totally empathized with those who have been through the program before and are now back at square one.

I've done the program several times over the past 10+ years. I was in a great support group where I was able to help others using the guidance from this program. But the group was disbanded over a year ago and ever since then I've really slipped and am worse now than I have been in years. So I decided to start the program over again from the beginning. It's very discouraging and has limited my life greatly. I'm afraid to travel, fly, go anywhere except for work (because I have to work). Has anyone else experienced similar?

mikee b

Post by mikee b » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:50 pm

you guys all remind me of me . i let it go to long . i went to long before getting help now here we are its good to know it will work again so getting started

randy c.

Post by randy c. » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:31 pm

good luck mikee b. were all rooting for you ;)

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”