Starting the program over again after about two years.

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
TylerD1015

Starting the program over again after about two years.

Post by TylerD1015 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey ya'll. I bought this program about two and half years ago when I first started having panic and anxiety attacks. I am 24 years old, gay male. Family is accepting of my sexual orientation, but not accepting of the random substance abuse I use in order to take the feelings away. The program worked well and took away the panic, now I just have Generalized Anxiety. I found that alcohol and marajuana helped ease the pain quickly, it eventually causes more pain in the end due to the guilt and physical body symptoms.
I am starting the program over because I am noticing my anxiety is with me throughout the day. I am in constant worry about having a panic attack, probably because my first one was so traumatizing. I havn't had a panic attack in over a year or two. But I do get high levels of anxiety where I think it'll lead to a panic attack. My physical body symptoms that cause my anxiety are my stomach, gas in my stomach, gas stuck in my chest, and at rare times heart palpitations. I figure I do the online support forum because I did not use this to full advantage when I first bought the program. I also noticed that my emotions cause anxiety, esp. when I think about traumatizing memories and events. I find that the relaxation session is extremely difficult for me, because it causes even more anxiety. I know I have to be courageous and face the fear, eventually I'll get over it. I have so much on my plate right now, currently unemployed, alcohol and substance abuse, PTSD, and trying to impress my parents (which I realized is impossible but I still find myself feeling guilty over choices I made). My anxiety is moderate to high esp. at night. My psychiatrist put me on Prozac, and Clonazepam. I am currently trying to taper off the clonazepam by asking her to perscribe a lower dose and lower pill counts. I also feel that Prozac is causing more anxiety as opposed to when I was taking Celexa about two years ago. I take trazadone to help me achieve a deep full restful sleep. I am writing in hopes that I get the support I need online to stay on a healthy course i.e. (running, sleeping, meditation, practicing the relaxation session, staying away from negative friends, stay away from substances, and practicing more positivity in my life). I am looking to start school in Jan of 2014. My goal is to be whole, mentally, emotionally, and physically. I shall start the program over, and finish it this time, and I am just looking for support online to help me through this scary but necessary phase in my life. :D I want to be off the antidepressants, the anti-anxiolitics, and the substances (alcohol and marajuana). It's so damn hard to get off these substances, probably because of the company I keep in my life. I need more positive, encouraging people in my life circle. I know I am not perfect, but its a sure damn hard habit and mindset to break. So any positive words of encouragement would surely help. There is so much negativity around me, and so much trauma in my past, I want to be able to look forward with hope, and be able to be in the present moment and just breath without having to worry.

coachchris

Re: Starting the program over again after about two years.

Post by coachchris » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:17 pm

Hi Tyler,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. We're so glad to have you back working the program and reaching out for support. We all need each other:)

I sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you.
Coach Chris

bradley1960

Re: Starting the program over again after about two years.

Post by bradley1960 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:23 pm

Tyler,

I started this program in June 2008 and didn't apply it fully much the same as you. I kept drinking alcohol and using marijuana. I also didn't quit stimulants such as caffine ( I do love coffee and you can't get decaf in Columbian brazillian or cona blends). But I did learn to identify panic attacks as just that... panic attacks! Created in my own mind!. This led to slightly better thought processes but old habits were hard to break. I could live with my panic attacks by the time I completed the course. I didn't have the internet at home and stopping by the library to join the support group took extra time and effort. I soon stopped coming on this forum and started drinking more beer to "take the edge off my worrying. And I can worry like a pro!!! I used to joke that if I didn't have something to worry about I would make something up in my mind. The second and third time through the course I didn't even do it in order but I kept learning something new. I kept reading and learning new things from books and cds others recommended. Things continue to get better each time I try. And one thing I have learned from a group of positive people who are into self improvement is the value of a support group of peers. association is so important and gives us strength. so this time around I came back to use this forum and the course diligently. I have quit drinking alcohol and using pot with the help of accountability partners and a system of plan, do, check and adjust. Since we have had similar self medicating experiences I would be honored if you would keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same. We can fail our way to success together. may I add you to my friends list? We all need someone to celebrate our successes with no matter how small they are. I am truly impressed with your determination to self improvement. If you want you may add me to your friends list. Stay on this forum and don't ever give up on yourself.
Bradley

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”