Empowering Group Program Run-through

You will gain an understanding of the causes of anxiety and depression as well as some of the background traits, personality traits, and physical symptoms.
Ninjafrodo2

Re: Empowering Group Program Run-through

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 pm

Going through the limitation section of lesson 1, I came up with these (and they're in the order from most concerning to least);

Being alone with my thoughts
Expressing myself
Socializing (listening, remembering and responding appropriately)
Being Assertive
Letting people get close to me and being open to others
Public speaking
Interviews
Maintaining a job
Relationships
Cleaning my room

One thing i've done to avoid my anxiety symptoms this week was to walk around with music playing in my ear...I would listen to the same songs over and over and over again to numb myself out.

One thing that jumped out at me in the workbook stuff was

That if the cause of the depression (stress and anxiety) is dealt with and alleviated than the the result (depression) should be relieved.
->This to me means that we aren't just naturally anxious and depressed but that there are factors that lead us to this condition. It isn't our identity, it is just the situation we're in at the moment and working through this means that we can reclaim the person we are underneath the condition.

Also
Anxiety disorders are depressing!
->So that means its completely normal and a natural response to the high anxiety and the stress that we'd be depressed...its not wrong, its just the result of it. How can we be happy if we aren't doing what we really truely want to do and if we hold ourselves back and avoid what we would like to do? And avoid being who we really are?

I have severe depression (score of 26)
I lack personal satisfaction (score of 22)

and I'll look at the action assignments tomorrow.

Mike

THH

Post by THH » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:26 am

I too jumped the gun. I felt like why don't I get this? And really I do get much of it. It does take time and that is why I am going though this again. We are on session 1 and slowing down and chilling out are a big part of this whole program!

It also says that it is not important that you agree with everything from the start. I also know this is true too. It will be helpful and practice makes growth. I can do this!

I need to begin my journaling again as that has always helped me in the past.

My limitations are

Health and how I feel ( Fear of the dentist, doctors, medicine, test and being alone when I am sick)
Fear of elevator's
Fear of road bridges
Being Assertive

In the last times I came though this program, I learned to deal with many family issues I had going on. I have done much better with those areas. There is always someone or a problem that arises but I feel more solid there at this time. The program helped me!

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:19 am

Thats great THH, so you made some permanent changes, awesome! And yeah I think we did jump the gun...thats fine, luckily we have the chance to change at any moment.

One think I realizing now is that alot of the times that I did become lethargic, it was due to my thoughts...I was so afraid of becoming lethargic that the thoughts themselves created it and I have avoided doing alot of stuff because of that lethargy because I was afraid it was the activity that caused it but really its my thoughts...self fulfilling prophecy really. For me this gives more motivation to work through the thoughts.

Mike

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:18 pm

I hope I can learn a lot about myself that I have tried to ignore. I had forgot about the cards. I have not been reading them.I have mild depression and concern about personal satisfaction. I hope I can work on my limations.

limited to where I can drive and go with some one driving me
fear of elavators
concerned about health

I hope I am not missing something. if anything is hidden surley it will come out. I didn't write in my journal last night hope to tonight.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm

forever young...i'm sure you will and I don't even think I have the lesson 1 cards anymore. I did however come up with another idea in replace of the lesson 1 cards that actually works better for me. Would you like to see?

It also seems like there is a fear of elevator commonality between forever young and THH.

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 am

where is everyone this morning? I forgot to read the cards this morning. I have them in my purse have had them there since I got the program. I guess I bought it in 04 maybe funny I bought it for my husband at the time as he has OCD. I was stable on medication and thought I was doing fine but still had my limitations. I normally don't have anxiety and panic attack at home especially back then. I do now as I have fell down the latter and feel like I am on the bottom. I hope I can get back to the top or at least half way with the use of this program. I haven't did my relaxtion yet and need to listen to the tape again. I also need to excersise too didn't yesterday or today yet. I had one of my weak spells and became scared took awhile to calm down. hope you guys are doing good this morning.

THH

Post by THH » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 am

Good morning! I am here... :)
Slow start, lost power in a storm last night.

I've been doing much of the same things as you forever. I have been fighting off these feelings that have grown sense I first started really trying to help myself. I think that is what anxiety and panic does. It is frustrating and depressing too. I also know I punched a hole in this before and I know I can do it again. You too! We all can, and I think we all know what we have to do. It is a leap of faith to say enough! I have to get ahold of this crap because I don't like it. At times I know I have had it and get very tough with it. Remember these are just body symptoms and NO danger. I try to recognize the body symptoms and give the feelings a general name, like the tiger. But instead of a wild tiger like I feel, I picture a floppy stuffed animal tiger that is really a cute harmless toy. It has helped me make the turn in my thinking. It will get better.

I also have thought about my list and would like to add People! I think I am afraid of crowds of people. See, I think I keep boxing myself in ( making my own limitations ) and I still am feeling this way, I have to change my thinking. Being with others who have similar problems with panic is a great way to learn and have support. I have to keep going even though I feel creepy and know that I am not in danger. Before that was how I moved out of the rut. I did very well for long periods of time. I need to strengthen my skills and learn more coping strategy's. We are not alone, and that brings comfort.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey All:)

I love this thread. It is full of courage, compassion and effort.

I will do my best to check in and provide any feedback I can.

Keep the program simple starting out like you all commented. Set doable goals and celebrate all of your efforts. I hear managing the adrenalin and understanding it being central to your stories (you can read some of my story in the personal coaching/ask Coach Chris thread). That being said doing your relaxation cd twice daily and cutting back on caffeine and simple carbs can be life changing:) Would also be aware of how much water you are taking in so that you are hydrated and feeling well.

That's my two cents for today. I do hold a free coach chat Friday's at 12 pm and Monday at 9 pm EST if you ever want to hop in. We would love to have your positive sharing and ideas.

You are each amazing and inspiring, truly:)
Coach Chris

LisaAnn15

Post by LisaAnn15 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:28 pm

Hi. My name is Lisa. I'm 32 and have been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks for a few years now. I think a lot of it initially was related to feeling alone (living in cities where didn't no anyone) and then eventually it turned into its own monster. Now what I fear is bad anxiety attacks. I get SO WORRIED about money, the future (will I get married, how can I be in a relationship when I'm like this), how can I work, what will people think, etc. The worry is so intense I feel like I'm going crazy and then end up crying and feeling freaked out. I can't eat, have to use the bathroom all the time. I wake up with my heart pounding.I have times where I feel great, then something triggers it and it's a snowball effect. When I feel anxious I start feeling more anxious about the anxiety, fearing I will spiral down. I've had to take time off work and go on disability 3 times. Therapy has helped me a lot in the past, and also medication.

I want to make choices based on happiness, not fear. I want to feel confident in myself. I want to enjoy life.

I am on week 2 of the program. I liked week 1 because watching the video and listening to the tape I felt better to see there were actually other people who have been through this. I know I will feel better again at some point (I always do) but don't want a temporary fix. I want to be able to tolerate some discomfort without it turning into weeks of anxiety and panic. Went to the ER for the first time a couple weeks ago because I thought I was going crazy. Having peer support would mean so much to me.

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you CoachChris for your post and thank you for the information on the friday and monday chats, that could definately come in useful and your 2 cents is always welcome here. By the way have you ever heard of Hans Selye?

And welcome Lisa, thank you for joining us. I like your enthusiasm and I like how you said that you want to make choices based on happiness, and you want to tolerate discomfort and that you know you'll feel better again...thats very positive thinking! I can tell you'll do really well.

And by the way we are very similar in our struggles...I'm on disability myself, money is a concern for me, the relationship stuff, the work stuff and also the loneliness as well. I'm sure we can help each other out and grow together as a group :)

And like Forever, I do feel like i've fallen down the latter (not the whole way but alot of it)

I also relate to THH with trying to fight the feelings even though I know intellectually that it really doesn't work that way and that the feelings are not scary. I've been through this program so many times that the knowledge is ingrained in my head and I can even think of it (or at least some of it) in the heat of the moment but I still struggle with the intensity of it and I doubt myself as I wonder how long it will last. I see that this is the limitations of knowledge itself, I see that this is where practicing meditation and calming oneself down comes into play...I know this through practice and I know this theoretically through my stress management class I took in school.

Forever Young mentioned about not using the relaxation tape yet, I'm wondering who here has been having struggles with listening to it?
I've had some struggle myself so far.

Mike

Return to “Session 1 - Anxiety and Depression: Symptoms, Causes and Common Fears”